legal weight

pleace69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The trucks g.v.w.r is 9,900 pounds and the trailers is 14,000 what weight can i legally haul.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
AND whatever you have legally paid for your tabs to be licensed at.
for instance, i am 9900 +14000 trailer=23900# but, i am licensed at 21,000 so i scale out to that figure....

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
If you've got a SRW, it should be 20,000lbs minus whatever weight is on the axles (including pin weight of the trailer).

jv, i am still confused as to where you are getting this 20,000 lbs. minus whatever.

a VA DOT officer told me during an inspection, that since my GVWR is 9900 and the trailer is 14,000, total that together and the GVWR was 23,900, that what the legal amount that i could weigh, and even with that, he told me they do not look at wether you are really over weight in what they call
"a hot shot" vehicle.

they look at whether your name is on the truck(for hire), all the lights work, you have a medical card(over 10,000 lbs.) authority, insurance, and if you are running a log book, and if you have a fire exting. that is readily accessible.

he said weight was never a factor.

and please explain what you mean by "pin" weight.

and of course, some states are gonna go by diff. regs. than others.

BTW, my truck is tagged at 25,999 and less, which accomodates the use of the trailer in that weight.

my trailer tag is a permanent tag.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trucks g.v.w.r is 9,900 pounds and the trailers is 14,000 what weight can i legally haul.

Legally I think you can HAUL ASSH. LOL :D Actually you should call your local transportation authority if you really want to be on the safe side. Here it is what wieght rating of licence you have and/or how much weight you have the vehicle licenced for (you can licence a vehicle over it's gvwr..for a cercain fee).

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score

take the GCWR on the truck and take off the total weight of your rig (with all gear, cargo, people and fluids) and the dry weight of your trailer. whats left is how much you can put on the trailer. Like said, make sure you are tagged through motor vehicles for the total weight you're hauling, cause it's a reeeeaaaaaaaallllllyyyyyyy expensive ticket ;)

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
take the GCWR on the truck and take off the total weight of your rig (with all gear, cargo, people and fluids) and the dry weight of your trailer. whats left is how much you can put on the trailer. Like said, make sure you are tagged through motor vehicles for the total weight you're hauling, cause it's a reeeeaaaaaaaallllllyyyyyyy expensive ticket ;)

i think i said pretty much this.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the GCWR on the truck and take off the total weight of your rig (with all gear, cargo, people and fluids) and the dry weight of your trailer. whats left is how much you can put on the trailer.

say this number comes up to 12k but your trailer is rated for 12k. your still not going to be putting a 12k load on your trailer. you would be overloading the trailer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58