legal weight

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
exempt from what? from the scales maybe, but not from being rated to carry a certain loaded capacity.

DOT laws not weight laws.

I don't think they would even look for an over weighted RV trailer or if you can overload one.

The DOT laws like commerical drivers license,Log book,DOT numbers ,Fuel permits ,Scales and go from state to state.

RV plates are not for a certain load like 12k plates on a reg trailer . If your over that then you pay big fines . RV's don't have that restriction they are exempt .

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
When you look at the rating in pounds on the sidewall of your tires your total load shouldn't excede the combinded weight of all the tires on the trailer or rv. One of the first things DOT looks at if they think you are over weight.

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
DOT laws not weight laws.

I don't think they would even look for an over weighted RV trailer or if you can overload one.

The DOT laws like commerical drivers license,Log book,DOT numbers ,Fuel permits ,Scales and go from state to state.

RV plates are not for a certain load like 12k plates on a reg trailer . If your over that then you pay big fines . RV's don't have that restriction they are exempt .

RV's don't have a "licensing weight", but they (and all vehicles on the road) have a GVWR by the manufacturer as the maximum the trailer and cargo can weigh.. If you are pulled over and the officer thinks you are overweight he can scale you right there on the spot with the portables and force you to offload and/or fine the crap outta you you. It was not specified in the original post what type of trailer this is/was. If it's an "equipment trailer" the weigh is variable up to the max set by the manufacturer and paid accordingly through the registration. If it's an RV then it's set by the manufacturer as the GVWR.

The important thing is not to overlaod the trailer physically or "legally" or you could be in trouble ;)

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
When you look at the rating in pounds on the sidewall of your tires your total load shouldn't excede the combinded weight of all the tires on the trailer or rv. One of the first things DOT looks at if they think you are over weight.

It's sad that most people don't even realize that their trailer may not have come properly equipped tire wise from the factory for the maximum load rating. Worse yet is people buying used with no idea that the previous owner put on the cheapest car tires he could find in that size :(

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our truck is rated maximum gcwr of 23,000 lbs. Our 5th wheel (when it comes) has a gvwr of 11,490 lbs. So our truck pulling the fully loaded 5er can not weigh over 11,510 lbs. I will have to weigh my truck at the scales, but I am sure it does not weigh 11,510 lbs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58