Let it run or not?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Before I bought my diesel, I always thought that they were very effecient at idle. Example: I pull up to the gas station to run in and grab something. Let's say I get stuck at the register and it takes me 5 minutes. Does it waste more fuel to shut er down just to fire it back up, or should I just let it run? How long is too long to let it run just for the sake of saving fuel. I may be wrong on this assumption(probably), but just want to run it across everyone to see what you think.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Idling wastes fuel no matter how long its running. Idling is fine in a diesel but don't expect idling to warm a cold engine.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It actually takes more fuel to start a diesel than you'll burn idling for 5, 10 minutes but it's still going to hurt your overall fuel mileage. And if the engine idles at low rpm for an extended time it can cause internal problems such as washed out rings and valves.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, UPS and FEDEX have done studies and have found it is more efficient to turn off the engine at a stop than to let it idle, even for 30 seconds. Think about it, the UPS guy always shuts his truck down when he is making a delivery. It did not used to be that way.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Diesels are less efficient at idle becasue they are not running at their optimum temperature. They also tend to be louder at idle because they are not burning the fuel efficiently. I saw a sticker on a company work truck one day that reminded the drivers to shut their trucks off...the sticker read "Idling gets you nowhere"...kind of has a double meaning to it.....

In regards to passenger vehicles and pickup trucks with a diesel engine, the engine will see less wear from starting and stopping than it will from idling, especially if the engine is warm. The unburned fuel at idle tends to wash down the cylinder walls of the engine and dilute the oil film on the cylinders increasing the friction of the piston rings on the wall of the engine, which over time creates blow-by that can only be corrected by rebuilding the engine. Conversely, starting and stopping the engine for short periods of time when the oil is warm, prevents the above mentioned wear, saves fuel, and besides, a starter is far easier to replace than rebuilding an engine with excessive blow by.

Has anyone noticed that Ford now has an Engine Idle Shutdown setup on the diesel trucks? It automatically shuts the truck off after a certain period of time and is mandatory in alot of states. I believe that it was introduced at the beginning of 2009 MY production.

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
thinking like that is why our fuel/gas prices are higher.

I disagree with you on that. It's blazin hot here in louisiana as well and I keep my truck cool as well when I'm going in somwhere for a short period of time.

The reason why our gas prices are so high is because we need someone in the whitehouse that has half a brain!:rant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58