Let it run or not?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
yeah by the cheese curtain. and I know what your thinking. yeah its cold up here, but I really like the hotter temps from when I traveled.

Whenever I race or just ride with buddy's I do extremely well when its hot and supper humid while others are dropping like fly's or just stating how dangerous it is. Im also a skinny guy, I enjoy hopping in my black truck after I been in the stores ac. I keep the windows up for a bit and then roll em down. I think the only time I use my ac is when I have a suit on or when the ol lady is with me. even then I try and keep my window cracked down a bit.

But I also dont make too much money, and find myself looking to save money in creative ways so I can spend it on cool stuff like my new tool box and what nots. But if you feel the need to justify a cold truck feel free its just the internet.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I have no problem putting the PSD on high idle for 5 minutes or so to get the inside nice & cold, or warm & cozy, depending on the season.

Never had any problems whatsoever.

Life is too short to worry about a few minutes of running time, we all need to stop
and smell the diesel fuel sometimes.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no problem putting the PSD on high idle for 5 minutes or so to get the inside nice & cold, or warm & cozy, depending on the season.

[Life is too short to worry about a few minutes of running time, we all need to stop and smell the diesel fuel sometimes.]

X2 ;tu

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Life is too short to worry about a few minutes of running time, we all need to stop
and smell the diesel fuel sometimes.

Well said.

I love my high idle mod.

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idle or shut down?

I think you have to keep in mind the scenario he was giving - go in for a bag of chips and out - 5 minutes.

If the engine is fully warmed up or hot - I would let it idle, if we are only talking 5 minutes. I would think of this as more of cool down, good for the turbo and all the underhood electrics.

If the run is just to the corner store for milk, and the engine is still cold, then maybe a shutoff is in order, as you can "wet stack" the cold engine, causing some of the issues listed earlier.

Shutting of and starting a diesel is not free either - go price a starter and a pair of batteries, they only last so many starts.

Something else to consider with leaving her running - she may not be there when you get back!!!

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I think you have to keep in mind the scenario he was giving - go in for a bag of chips and out - 5 minutes.

If the engine is fully warmed up or hot - I would let it idle, if we are only talking 5 minutes. I would think of this as more of cool down, good for the turbo and all the underhood electrics.

If the run is just to the corner store for milk, and the engine is still cold, then maybe a shutoff is in order, as you can "wet stack" the cold engine, causing some of the issues listed earlier.

Shutting of and starting a diesel is not free either - go price a starter and a pair of batteries, they only last so many starts.

Something else to consider with leaving her running - she may not be there when you get back!!!

point well taken. Good info everyone. I learn stuff on here everyday thanks to you guys. :sweet

In regards to her not being there when i get back, fixing to install a remote start that let's you remove the keys while runnin and lock it. Until then I'll be real careful. Bossier City/Shreveport area is a pretty bad area for crime.

2005superstroke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i work construction and our equipment never stops running. if our equipment isn't busy, they idle, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for a lot longer. people leave them idling at lunch, etc. with millions of dollars worth of equipment idling with no problems, i don't see where it hurts

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave it run?

The newer EGR diesels shouldn't idle excessively, you end up coking up the EGR cooler and valve, turbo, and contaminating the oil. Ford looks at the engine hourmeter and mileage on the diesels to determine if they have been idling excessively. Ford recognizes 33 miles per hourmeter hour as average. So take your mileage and divide it by the hours on the hourmeter. If you get less than 33, you are idling more than the average. My truck comes out at 37, and I make a point to never let it idle when cold, or for more than necessary for turbo cool off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58