Lets Talk Alarms and Remote Starters

Max Power

Reaction score
Isolated case. I have installed several thousand without problems. UltraStart is no where near the caliber of Astro start IMO. I can help you fix it but the problem with it loosing its programming the module should have been replaced by the dealer.

What model is it? If you don't know look on the module label on the back or the owners manual.

Most likely things like run time etc are user programmable. Are you sure it is an Astro Start as they do not have cool-down timers.

I can probably help you fix it if you've got the time to go through a few things. You don't need to plug in the Multitest to program it. There are dip switches on the module that you can program with.

If you can put away an hour or two so we can diagnose it I will give you my phone # and we can do it that way.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The wife is at work right now with the Excursion. I will see if I can find the module and get the number off of it. I think I saw it once up behind the fuse panel. As far as the cool-down timer I was referring to hitting the button before turning off the key and then the rig runs for the programmed time. I don't have a book for the unit, I suppose the previous owner pitched it. I am almost sure it is a Astro Start but I will check. Seems like a quick reference card the dealer gave me or the remote says Astro Start. Why don't Astro Starts have cool down timers? UltraStart does ;)

Max Power

Reaction score
I don't know why they don't have it. I doubt many people would use it. It is easy to add in after so I suppose they figured it wasn't necessary. I would personally rather have a pyrometer controlled cool down then a timer. Lots of times the timer isn't necessary.

If you get me the model I can email you all the manuals. Installation, owners etc.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Well I found the problem why it would not work. When I was looking for the module I found two fuse holders and one was blown. I imagine since it works fine with a new fuse that the blown one was caused by my parking light short that I found under the visor a week or so ago(see blown park light fuse thread). I will now start a new thread on the other problems since I have pretty much hijacked this one enough :sorry At this point I am not even sure that this is a Astro Start since I can't find the model number. See new thread entitled AutoStart identification and diagnosis.

_CH_

Nautiques Freak
Reaction score
hey max,
if you were to have to use a timer & not a pyro controlled (i.e. for a DEI clifford...... dont get me started on how much better the cliffords were before DEI) - what kind of delays would you recommend for start and shut down?

Max Power

Reaction score
That is what makes it so difficult each truck and each situation will be different. I recommend watching your pyrometer to see how long it takes on average to get it cooled down to where you would like it. The problem with timers is if you just had a long hard pull it will take a lot longer to cool down then if you were just putting around town.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My cool-down timer is set for two minutes. You are correct in that two minutes might not be enough after a long hard pull but all I ever do is put around town. As far as starting delay, in the summer I set it for glow-plug detect and in the winter I set it for 12 seconds(to give the glow plugs a little more time).

snoeproe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i had my Ford dealer install a command/remote starter on my '05 F250 before i would drive it off the lot. it was worth every extra penny!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim