Limited Slip Diff?

shannoncaldwell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was rotating my tires last weekend and noticed that when spinning one rear tire the other rotated in the opposite direction. I think this means that I don't have limited slip or that the limited slip isn't working.

The axle code space on my sticker is blank, 2000 Excursion, PSD.

I have found a Ford Posi Carrier on Ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8031628217&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
can anybody tell me if I can upgrade my axle with this piece to have limited slip?

Thanks for the help.

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
The Ford unit which is okay is not the best unit around. There are much better limited slips out there. But if price is a factor then go with that one. If you get a used one it might be a good idea to have some throw a new set of clutches in it unless it's out of a new truck. On the other hand it's easy to install.

When I bought my truck in 02 I took out the L/S and gave it away and replaced it with a Detroit Locker. You may not need something light that in Texas but we have a lot of ice to deal with in the winter and I hunt and guide hunters in the spring and fall.

catdsltech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to see if you have a l/s or an open rear is to do a burnout and see if you leave one black mark or two.

Jared

SMOKNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the factory posi is rebuildable? I have the one wheel peal action going on with mine, but it's over 300K miles on it, I'm sure the clutches are long gone. As for size, what kind of rear ends do we have? I'm not all that familiar with fords.

Bill

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
you can rebuild the factory, LS pack.
I saw a thing on the eaton E slect axle they put in gm hummers. thats what we need its similiar to an ARB air locker so you get 100 % power to both rear wheels when needed and then a standard open diff for street driving

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
Is tagged or stamped somewhere telling you if you even have one? I bought my X preowned and the dealer didn't know and I have yet to find any other indicators.
Oh, and when I get the Banks installed if push comes to shove I'll try the rubber line method. %)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14