Limp Mode?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Truck has, to simplify it, towed heavy from east to west coast and back 20 times, and then made the trip about 18 more times w/out a trailer. I'd say I got my money's worth. The 1600 stall speed means that at 1600 RPM its locked up solid. I believe the stocker locks at 2600. My understanding is that the factory convertor can slip as much as 20% due to its design. The replacement convertor will allow about 4% until locked. It will also hold a hill, with a trailer. I can't verify until I get it back and try it out. I don't know alot about transmissions, either. The shop is highly regarded and the owner is a rolled up sleeves kind of guy who will work with you. This is a big investment for a 4 year old truck, but Ford looked at it and wanted to put in a new trans. I intially thought [hoped?] it was the temp sensor, and it was, but it was full of metal. FWIW, Ford and the aftermarket shop said over and over they had never seen one go that far w/out some kind of surgery. And alot of the internals are still o.k. All thats ever been done is fluid and filter changes.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill be interested to hear about the drivablity and the
changes you notice over the stock set up.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Level 10. You nailed it. With tax, R/R trans., all prts. fluids, servo's, and performance mods. total $4280.00

Thats not a bad price I was looking into them when I thought my trans was going but it was just the temp sensor. The only dealer that would look at it was out in PA.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Thats not a bad price I was looking into them when I thought my trans was going but it was just the temp sensor. The only dealer that would look at it was out in PA.

I called around, too. 1 place said they would try to diagnose and repair, but needed a week or more to get it in the shop. Dealers were mostly leaning towards a new transmission.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear ya have a big bill to swallow, but it sounds like you're going to have a fantastic setup when you're done.

Torque converter lock is a tough concept to get your mind around, but that was a very good explanation. Once you reach the stall speed, the device has minimal slip, 1% or so... below that, anywhere to 100%, that's when you're sitting there at the light waiting to go. Clutches are locked down, but you're not going anywhere. The fluid is beating around the impeller and driven element, that's why you can overheat a tranny fairly easily sitting still with it in gear. There's a lot of fluid friction there when it's stalled. Once it can start to turn the fluid flows through the unit, and circulates back to the sump fairly quickly.

That said, I'm willing to bet you're going to see lower transmission operating temperatures, plus the extra 5 qt of fluid will help.

Probably the most common place you've all seen a crude version is a boat... that's why you change prop pitch based on what you're trying to do with it... skiers or top end haulin' tail.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
are you going to need to upgrade your tranny cooler to accommodate for that extra 5qt.'s of fluid?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
are you going to need to upgrade your tranny cooler to accommodate for that extra 5qt.'s of fluid?

I may. They put on a finned aluminum pan, so we'll see how the temps. are. Just got it back a few hours ago and frankly I had no idea how much of a difference it would be. Its in 5th by about 44 mph and the rpm's are at maybe 1150. Whats interesting is it doesn't really hunt thru gears, its kinda like you step on the go pedal and it just goes faster. Gonna take it out for an hour or so after supper and see how it is on hills, etc. I got it to kick down once on the way home, and you can really feel the power. They told me not to tow and to just drive it normally for 300 miles to get the parts to seat. Sounds reasonable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg