Line-X before I install my new cap?

ryaneverk2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm picking up a cap for my F350 from my brother in law - it was on a truck he just bought used, but he wants a tonneau. I'm getting the cap, as well as some padded/cloth-covered benches that go in your truck's bed. There is one long bench that goes on each side, with lids that lift for storage, and then a big padded piece that goes across, making a big flat padded bed area.

Anyway, what I'm trying to figure out is what I should do for a bedliner underneath all this. Where the benches sit, the truck's bed is covered, but between them there is exposed. Also, there may be times when I need to remove the cap and benches inside to haul stuff that won't fit otherwise, or haul dirt or firewood or whatever. I'm thinking I should go ahead and get the bed sprayed with Line-X before I install the cap. That way it's a nice permanent fix, and when/if I ever have to take off the cap, it'll be there, and the bed will be protected.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I get it line-x'd before I install the cap, or just clean the bed up real good and leave it plain. It's got a bit of rust here and there from a previous drop-in... which is another reason I'd like to go ahead and have them sand it all down and line-x it for good. Thoughts?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
when we had the cap on the last truck we went to homey d and got the 2x2 interlocking heavy rubber open holed mates. about 25 a peice and laid them down a mark down rack 5x8 carpet (10 bucks) and let her run lasted many years and the dog liked laying back there

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I like my spray in liner. EXCEPT for the fact that they sprayed all my bed bolts and bolts to access my tailgate. Ofcourse I did the freind of a freind deal after hours for a special price so I have no waranty. Make sure they do not do this to yours if you go with a spray in.

ryaneverk2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bryan. Yeah I confirmed with a dealer I called that they remove the bolts and tie downs and such before spraying, then reinstall.

Powerboater, the pads and carpet idea sounds nice. Maybe I'll get it Line-X'd, then still throw in a big section of carpet under the benches and all for a bit of insulation/padding. I guess I'm sort of set on the line-x after all.:p Like the idea of how permanent it is and that it'll be there when I need to take off the cap to haul whatever.

Keep 'em coming fellas.-popcorn

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ryaneverk2 said:
Thanks Bryan. Yeah I confirmed with a dealer I called that they remove the bolts and tie downs and such before spraying, then reinstall.

Powerboater, the pads and carpet idea sounds nice. Maybe I'll get it Line-X'd, then still throw in a big section of carpet under the benches and all for a bit of insulation/padding. I guess I'm sort of set on the line-x after all.:p Like the idea of how permanent it is and that it'll be there when I need to take off the cap to haul whatever.

Keep 'em coming fellas.-popcorn

I can only echo what the other guys have said--I've got a spray-in (link in sig) and wouldn't give it up for anything (other than another spray-in, maybe...) since it doesn't rattle around, it's sealed tight (I had them spray over the bed bolts but remove the tailgate panel then re-install it after spraying it), and it looks good. As a side benefit, without the tonneau in place, having the liner sprayed in did seem to dampen the resonant sound coming from the bed. I'm thinking that the bed bottom was vibrating from road irregularities and once I got the liner sprayed, it must have added enough weight/stiffness that that low-frequency sound went away.

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
I have mine Line-x also and have the top of the line Leer camper shell on mine. From time to time the shell comes off and the bed is exposed to the open world. Also make it nice when hauling with the shell on. Nothing slides.

Reaction score
BedRug

Put one in my last truck and this one. Love them. Since your going to be crawling around in it you might want to think about it.

They are very tough - I haul everything - bricks, lumber, firewood, steel, hydro fluid (spills and leaks) etc - even spilled 5 gals of gas once. :eek:

You do not have to have a shell with them - use them just like any other bedliner except they are great for laying down on - crawling around in.

Once or twice a year I pull it out and just hose it down - looks brand new.

Ron

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
Look at it this way, if your going to have it capped and other items in the back, ie., bench, carpet kit or what ever it's still going to chaffe including the cap so to do before makes good sense so moisture doesn't collect under what ever is in or on it. The other thing is, when you remove the cap it's already to load and go! I did my former two trucks a 1970 El Camino and the entire interior of my scout so now all I do is hose it out after wheeling. I keep looking for somewhere to put it on my X, but I don't wheel it hard enough to justify it so maybe I'll just coat my dog with it. %)
Oh, it was mentioned to try a rubber liner. EXCELLENT idea!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
david j
Never lower yourself or standards to be X-cepted by anyone - Me!

you mean like having MORAL fiber ? Yes sir:thumbs

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58