Locking Hubs

Jspafford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You will either keep the "Auto/Lock" Hubs in Auto all the time when not needing 4x4, or you will keep the "Free/Lock" hubs in free all the time when not needing 4x4.

When you need 4x4 with the "Auto/Lock" hubs, flip the dial switch into 4x4. The hubs should lock on their own. However, if they fail to lock and you have no front wheel drive then you may get out and turn them both to "lock" and they will work, once unstuck put them back into the "Auto" mode.

When you need 4x4 with the "Free/Lock" hubs, you will have to stop, get out, turn both hubs to "Lock" and continue on your way. Once unstuck, get out and turn them both back to "free".

If you follow this your front driveline will not turn all the time even though you are in 4x2.

If you want to run either of the setups with the hubs in the 'LOCK' setting you may do so, but it will cause your mileage to go down, and the front end to wear when not needed too.

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some one may correct me if I am wrong but the Auto/Lock hubs come from the factory with the ESOF option. The Free/Lock hubs come froom the factory with the manual shift lever on the floor.

00F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
threejacks said:
Some one may correct me if I am wrong but the Auto/Lock hubs come from the factory with the ESOF option. The Free/Lock hubs come froom the factory with the manual shift lever on the floor.

I have the manual hubs (FREE/LOCK) with the ESOF and keep it in "FREE" until i need it or if it looks bad.

pete

pete f350turbodiesel
Reaction score
I plow with my F350 and before I drop the plow the hubs get locked it makes the frount axle and hubs alot stronger for when hit curbs and other things that dont move.Up here in Orleans Ont. Canada we get lots off snow and if you are going to work your truck you want to drive the best and strongest it will need tobe a Ford ( no rice burners or dodges)

Pete
2006 F350 super duty 6L turbodiesel

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
I'm glad someone brought this up. I just got back from the Sierra's with tons of fresh snow and ice. My impression was if my hubs are in Auto and I switch into 4x4 I would have 4wheel drive in a mild state until I was able to get out, lock the hubs and then be in locked 4x4. I came to an intersection with a slight incline and put it in 4x4h, hubs Auto, when the light turned green I expected the X to move along. I got sideways twice without any help from the front axle and only managed to move far enough to put me in the middle of the intersection. I got out(much to my embarrasment), locked the hubs and was on my way, what was the issue? I had no 4x4 just by turning the switch and the hubs in Auto? Ideas?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
well why did they change?
my 92 had auto hubs, no esof
just drop the shifter into 4h and roll about 8 inches and they would go click and be locked.
dead on worked everytime...... why was it changed
to unlock just had to back up a few inches while in 2H
sure am glad i got a 2wd now :D

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I was not in the middle of an intersection but I was on grass that was very wet and soft. I was in auto and going up a hill. I had no front wheel pull. I didn't not get out and put it into lock, I just backed up.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
DavidJ said:
I came to an intersection with a slight incline and put it in 4x4h, hubs Auto, when the light turned green I expected the X to move along. I got sideways twice without any help from the front axle and only managed to move far enough to put me in the middle of the intersection
You must be rolling freely without the rear wheels spinning for the 4wd to engage. If you are stopped or the rear wheels are spinning it will not engage. If you were rolling freely and it did not engage then there might be a problem with your system.

janders said:
why would you want them engaged all the time if they can do it automatically?
It is my understanding that the "Lock" is to lock them in once you are already stuck. In the "Auto" position the hub must turn a little to engage which is hard to do when you cannot move.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58