Locking Hubs

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
drchris1024 said:
Does it make a MPG difference between running "FREE" with one hub or in "AUTO" in another hub????
No.. with the "Auto" hubs they are disengaged by vacuum and with the 'Free" hubs they are disengaged by your fingers. Either way they are disengaged.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Ok, I have one axle that is locked and one that is not. both are on Auto and 4x4 is not engaged. I looked at the hoses and they look ok. If I want to test the vacum how can I do that? I can not get one side to un-lock at all. How can you tell if they are the seals leaking and not making it dis-engage? Can you over-ride it by plugging anything or just buy Warn Manual Hubs?

Thanks

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I believe the auto is engaged by vacuum so if they are not disengaging they are gummed up or broken. I would pull the hub and check it over.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I believe the auto is engaged by vacuum so if they are not disengaging they are gummed up or broken. I would pull the hub and check it over.

Thanks, Looks like I'll tear down the front end. I have a brake pull after all this rain we've been having that I need to fix also.

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
CRUMM, you are exactly right. When I first bought my truck I was told so many different stories about the Auto/free hubs it wasnt funny. You use your switch on the dash/hubs in Auto. If you have a vaccum problem get out and lock. If you cant get a complete rotation with the front because the back is spinning, get out and lock. If you get a wild hair and just want them locked manually get out and lock. You are in no less of a four wheel drive by being in auto. Ive asked about a zillion ?s on this issue because of the trillion stories if Crumm is wrong Ill go nuts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr