Logging Conference

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a Logging Conference in town this week. I went and check it out. Lots of great trucks and heavy equipment. I saw a Feller that was in the 'If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it' category It was very cool looking and so was the Pete behind the Feller. It had a C-16 and had more electrical stuff that my truck. Feller.jpg

Dave ;tu

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'am sure most of the stuff there was in that "can't afford it' category" for me, but I still like to look.
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I did not see a price on the CAT 522B, but you could get a very nice house AND truck for what they want for it.

Dave :coffee

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
When we go on our ATV trip out in western South Dakota in the Black Hills it never ceases to amaze me how they cut, trim, cut to length, stack and load with very little or no manual labor. We sit around and watch every time we come across them. It would be fun to play with them.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember the old days of logging. There was one guy in our area who used mules to skid the logs. Another guy had a loader that took 3 guys to use (two on each end of a log with a spike attached to the winch cable and another guy running the winch that pulled the log up and onto the log truck). Plus the guys with the saws cutting trees. My dad cut pulpwood for a living when I was small. He had a measuring stick cut to 5 ft 3 inches and after cutting the tree, he would take the stick and measure each stick of pulpwood by making an "x" with his axe before cutting. Then he'd load it onto a pallet (by hand) and another guy would take the loaded pallet to the mill. When the pallet came to the mill, the workers there knew who had stacked the wood because the sides were straight and even.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My horse used to be on a logging team..

Back in the Day.. One of my first jobs was on a Logging Crew. Set'n choakers.. so the Cat Skinners could yard'm up to the Deck to be brushed out/cut for loading.

$20.00 a day. Be at the Dinner Bell Diner at 4:30.. ride the Crummy up the hill.. work til "Punk" blew the whistle.. Crummy down the hill.. get payed. FIRST time you Don't show for work ? = you don't work there anymore. (there was always "Extras" to take your job)

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You made good money back then. My first job paid $0.96 per hour at a car wash. I did inside windows.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.. $20 a day was good money in the late 50's.. but those were 14-16 hour [LONG HARD] days.

But I had Split manifold, Dual Smitty's, Fuzzy dice, a Reverb and Moon hub caps on my fity'tre Chevy tho Dave :lmao:lmao

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg