rant Looking for answers!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The #1 reason for auto's in pickups, and semi's, is the fact that many more drivers can operate these vehicles, ie women and people who never learned to drive a stick, even in city stop and go driving, and with less fatigue. But anybody who knows, would prefer the control of a standard when its needed most, towing and hauling heavy loads, if given a choice. imo :soap:soap

;tu

Just about Everything we use today has some sort of a feature that makes it almost "Automatic".

Energize it, select from some personal options, then push Start (or "R", then "D").

I prefer the "control of a standard". But it's all about.. Consumer Demand and Preference.

Joe

(I learned to drive in a 1952 Diamond Reo.. 5 up, 5 down, "R" and and anything in-between :lmao:lmao)

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
My point exactly, Big Joe, it's all about the public's perception of what is important. Easy and quick are the name of the game anymore, from home loans, to cars. I grew up in a small town and I had never seen a automatic in a pickup until I had grown up and moved to the big city, except in a street rod. Standards are just second nature to me, when your using the truck every day to work or haul loads. Mostly because thats all I knew for so long. I've used both kinds of trannies for towing,and I know which one I would choose everytime. Somebody else might choose the ease of the auto, But as DaveBen referred to, none of us should knock anyone for their choice, And maybe it seems that I am doing that, if so I apologize for that impression. But I don't apologize for my opinion. Thanks for setting me straight daveBen! :hail

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
It wasn't you I was worried about, I felt that republican was getting railed on a little bit for his choices. And then I got caught up in it on the other side of the coin.

torqlvr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have to put my vote in for the manual too. Automatics are for cars. Trucks that haul and tow need a manual in my opinion. They're more reliable, get better fuel mileage, and give the driver more control. I've owned manual tranny pickups for years and have never had problems with any of the trannys. I listen to pickup owners with automatics and hear over and over about their problems with the trannys. I just don't think it's that much trouble to swap cogs while driving. I've done it since I was about 12 years old and Dad used to let me drive the farm truck around the field in low gear while he and my older brother loaded it with hay bales.

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
but it also pollutes more, which is another reason the auto has beome standard, and the standard an option.

I'm still waiting for a response on this, as I have no idea where this comes from. Manual trans pollutes more? How is this - VERY CURIOUS
JLDickman? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14