Looking for information on a Detroit 318.

Reaction score
More than one diesel mechanic has recommended a 318 Detroit for a project I am accumulating parts for. Can anyone tell more about this engine? I have looked on Google, but I did not find much. I am looking for information on its size, weight, approximant dimensions, fuel delivery, and anything else that might be important to know. Oh yeah, and where would I find one? :confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Those old two-cycle diesels will be hard to find. 8V71 is the model of the engine; eight cylinders with 71 cubic inches each. They are around, start by asking diesel mechanics.

Dave

altaford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Look around on ebay, was a few remans on there a while back.

They are a noisy, leaking, but very long lasting, reliable engine. Quick revving, and yeah, fairly powerful.

Ceck them out here. Detroit Diesel Series 71 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The oil rigs I work on have used these forever, slowly changing to the newer diesels as the old ones die, but they do run pretty much forever with just some simple and minor maintenance.

One interesting thing, they can run backwards as well, were designed for boats where 2 would be mounted side by side, with one turning backwards to drive the same prop shaft.

Not home right now, but have a few links on my home puter, can send them to you in a few days if you like.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That motor was used alot for local city bus's starting in the late late 50's I think. GM used them alot too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see the military used it as well. I wonder if it is part of the same engine family they put in PLS's. That V8 Detroit is huge and too ig for what I want it for.

altaford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Look into a 6v71 or 92, good power and a lttle smaller/lighter. I ran a seismic drill rig years ago with a 6v53, man did that thing scream, good little engine also tho.

Nice thing is, no electronics whatsoever, and you can damn near do a full teardown with a handfull of common wrenches.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look into a 6v71 or 92.

Nice thing is, no electronics whatsoever, and you can damn near do a full teardown with a handfull of common wrenches.

YES ;tu I also operated alot of 6 or 8v?? Detriot powered equipment... Everything from GenSets to Marine applications. The NO electronic wizardry Was a nice feature. Common hand tools fer wrench'n too.

Damn good Motors. But as stated, they can be Leakers .. with the advancements in gasket compounds and sealants though(?), that shouldn't be an issue.. today.

Don't forget yer Ear Protection 'round'm however ;):lmao

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg