Looking for information on a Detroit 318.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I had an 8V92 in my dump truck and that sucker did NOT leak a bit. They scream because you get a power stroke every turn of the crank, vs every two turns of the crank for a four stroke.. Hence the name screamers. I really liked my 8V92. It would give you a big headache listening to the noise.

Dave

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
we had an excavator with the 12 v 71...........it was AWESOME!

very quick revving engines, wich is why they were used on fire engines that are still in service today.

they are around, you can find them. be careful of what you get, the industrial engines have injectors and pumps that were only meant to run at one rpm, and are terrible in a vehicle application.

Reaction score
I really appreciate all this information. That spec sheet is a huge help. Are there block or head numbers I should look for? This is what the engine will be going in. I have a heavier frame and 5 ton running gear for it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You had better get real good with your tape measure. I don't think you can get a 8V71 in that truck. Maybe a 6V71 or a 4-53. The 4-53 will be under powered for towing, but they do fit in a Ford Pickemup. I friend had one in his about 30 years ago. Screamer!!! (that is noisewise).

Dave

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something. I am NOT using the frame under that truck. I have something much stronger and deeper available to me. Same with the suspension. I know how to biuld big trucks. but this is my first big deisel powered truck.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14