looking for winch advice

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I really need to get a winch on my tilt deck gooseneck trailer, I have had to push pull and drag too many dead skid steers and tractors on it the last while.
I'm not sure how big of a winch I'll need, to DRAG:eek: a 6-8,000 lb skid steer or a rolling 15,000 lb tractor up the tilt.
Any suggestions on size, brand, etc will be appreciated.

broncomania

7.3 with stacks
Reaction score
im into off-roading and warn makes the only winch as far as im concerned.
it handles heavy abuse over and over without getting hot and slowing down.
last longer than others. you get what you pay for. but you might be ok with a lesser named brand for what you need. remember, using a snatch block doubles your line pulling strength. buy an 8000 lb warn and a snatch block to use when pulling the big stuff. or just do like i did and spend $1,200.00 on a 15,000 lb warn and never worry again. :sweet
img_0659.jpg

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i have a 9000 lb. warn, wish it was more, bought it used.

you can always use a snatch block and double it.

for the size and weight of the stuff you haul, i would get as big as i could roy.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i have a 9000 lb. warn, wish it was more, bought it used.

you can always use a snatch block and double it.

for the size and weight of the stuff you haul, i would get as big as i could roy.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
You know Stephen, you shouldn't post twice
unless you're trying to make a point:D

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I will keep an eye on ebay, or does someone have a good place to get one?

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
royfordguy said:
I will keep an eye on ebay, or does someone have a good place to get one?

I've been 'wheelin for hte better part of the last 12 years and done all sorts of recoveries... like said above Warn is the best hands down. I run a 12K on my Willys and a 9K on my buggy. The general rule of thumb for a trail rig is at least 1.5 times the vehicle weight. For a low resistance application like yours (is - not up to the door handles in mud) you should be able to get by with a 9K (and the snatch block). I personally would go with the 12K just because you lose capacity with every wrap of the cable around the drum. Also you're gonna need a couple good batteries on the trailer or a really FAT power cable going all the way to the back of the truck to plug into the tow rigs electrical system.

As much as I hate them, 4 Wheel Parts Whoresalers usually has the best pricing. Plan on $1000ish plus shipping for a 12K.

Let me know if you're serious and what model number your interested in and I'll mnake a few calls for ya.

PSD

:usa

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Warn makes a WARN WORKS® 4700 DC that is designed to do what you are wanting to do but with the loads you haul I would recommend a M15000. The 4700 will pull a rolling tractor but there will be the day you will need to load something that doesn't roll ;). If you are wanting to save a buck or two you might check into the Tabor12K, it is built by Warn but comes with a more economical price tag.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58