Loose oil filter?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I have one with a handle which adjusts the band size. I tighten it till I can go no more. First having oiled the gasket.

I had that one too from walmart and that thing was cheezy. it did fit, but would bend out of shape from the very first time I used it. when im upside down on my back laying on a ice patch and there is a freezing blowing wind cutting up my coat I dont have much tolerance for cheezy tools that fail.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally tighten filter until contact and then 3/4 turn after that. I have never had a problem with a leaking filter.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the old trick of turning by hand until it could not move without a lot of muscle, then I stuck the wrench on it and gave it a 1/4-1/2 turn more.. I got the infamous drip.

I then cleaned off the filter, gave it about another 1/2-3/4 turn, maybe even a full revolution with the filter wrench and I seem to be OK. If it's leaking, it isn't enough to drip on the ground in the past 3 weeks.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use is my hands for installation but most of the time I have to use a filter wrench (large channel locks) to remove the filter. I have found that the channel locks work better than a filter wrench for me.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had much luck using oil filter wrenches but I do have one of the snap-on kits that works on various different sizes.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg