Loosing Alternator??????

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have had a little prob lately where I keep loosing my batteries. We took Rachel's Ex to SLC over New Years and left mine here. That Tuesday (after we got back), I did not have enough power to start my truck. Put it on a charger for a few hours, started fine. That night to go home from work, almost did not start. I put it on the charger all night that night, and everything has been fine. They seemed to take a full charge, but eventually, (as in today) I don't have enough power to start the truck. After jump starting it tonight, (thank god for having 2 diesels with 2 batteries each), I put the aic on "charge protect" it was reading 12.4 to 12.8 @ about 1500 rpms. If I understand correctly, should that be 14? Is this an indication that the problem is my alternator going out, not my batteries???? Any thoughts would be helpful. I'm just trying to figure things out before I have to remove stuff to take it to the dealer.

Also, if it is the alternator, instead of replacing it with an oem, is there a better alternative out there???? (FWIW, I did get the upgraded one, just not the duals).

Thanks.

Barrett

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is right Barrett, your alternator is dead. 12.4 to 12.8 is the battery reading. If the alternator is putting out correctly you will see 14 volts. You need a new one. I have seen high output alternators and I will try one when mine dies.

Dave

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, found a culprit. My Passenger side battery was shot. I went ahead and replaced both with more powerful ones. I'll see how that goes, but I think I still want to get my Alt checked.

Barrett

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Barrett shorting cells in a battery will cause the problems you are describing, wouldn't hurt to get the alt checked though.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, was not the culprit I guess. Taking kids to school this morn, started to loose all electronics one by one. First, could not get the trans to shift out of first, shut off, re-start, shifted fine, then lights kept getting dimmer, abs light came on, and things started shutting down. Alternator????????

Barrett

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternator update, it's gone!

Ok, we apparently have traced the problem to be the Alternator, (After having the batteries tested and replacing them on Saturday, and loosing all electronics one by one today). Question is does anyone know for a fact what the alternator is that we have in our trucks. The Parts Dept. is claiming that the only alternator is a 110 amp, but my information from when I ordered my truck says it was to be a 130 amp. I just want to make sure that we are putting back what was in there. Any info????

Barrett

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I beleive it should be the 110
pretty sure
wait i will check
ALTERNATOR, F350, 7.3L Diesel, 110 Amp, Single Alternator 2003 $244.08

ALTERNATOR, F350, 6.0L Diesel, Single Alternator, 110 Amp 03-06 $292.15 $75.00 $208.67

ALTERNATOR, F350, 6.0L Diesel, Dual Alternator, 120 Amp 03-06 291.45

ALTERNATOR, F350, 6.0L Diesel, Dual Alternator, 140 Amp 03-06 292.15

Ex
ALTERNATOR, Excursion, 6.0L Diesel 03-05 $292.15 $75.00 it does not specify 110 or 130 or 120
could be a shake of the dice and get a 140 i bet its 140 based on all the goodies you have on the eddie b, or at least ask for it the price is teh same
as per the parts book online
againn it could be wrong

Last edited:

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Barrett is your Excursion already out of warranty?

Bill,

This was on my 03 F350, not the Excursion. (I corrected the original post, it was confusing).

I guess a volt meter is a necessity now since our check battery warning lights apparently are not hooked up. I had 1 bad battery and a bad alternator and nothing showed anything.

Also, the literature (both the brochure and my ordering info) lied, it say's a 130 amp, but they only put 110 amp alternators in the 03 and 04s. Figures.

I guess it's a good thing that I bought the extended warranty with both rigs. They paid for everything except the 100 deduct. :sweet

It seems to be ok now, after all, it started this morning and kept running. :thumbs

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Thats excellent news you got the truck back on the road and for the cost of the deductible you got the alternator for a good price:sweet

We just replaced a bum 75 amp alternator on the Mustang last weekend with a Lifetime 160 amp unit putting out 75-80 amps at idle:cool: Thanks for the help Bryan!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58