Help Needed Loss of power and pluming black after coming down from tunnel with turbo brake

yjsaindon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 7.3 with an auto. I was towing a trailer with a Jeep on it to Moab. On the way to the tunnel I kept it at 3/4 throttle and ~55-65mph. I went through the tunnel at 50, OD was off and I turned on the turbo brake. I think it is a Western Diesel Turbo Brake. It got up to 65 and I hit the brakes to slow it down to 55. I did this a total of 3 times. Once I got near the bottom, I turned off the turbo brake and the od and cruised past the Dillon exit. I rounded the corner and hit the throttle. It down shifted and started to pull the hill at ~60. After a few hundred yards, power dropped off quick and it plumed black smoke. I feathered the throttle, and it was still the same, losing power and still black. It slowed down to ~20mph and shifted to first, and then it started to gain power as if I were normally accelerating from a stop. Smoke went away, and power was restored. Gauges were normal, no leaks detected. I kept going, and the truck was normal from there on out. Made it to Moab and back and it did not repeat that.

Any ideas what would cause this? Is this common with a turbo brake? Water in fuel (light was not on)? Any and all help appreciated.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Sounds as if the Brake actuated while you were driving. I have one but on a manual. So when I turn mine on its on, and when I turn it off its off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim