Help Needed lOSS OF POWER

wcsmithiii

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Unique problem, to me at least. Interstate travel 70/75mph cruise on and all of a sudden power dropped off. Engine still running; no indicator lights (idiot gauges), temp well within range. Speed dropped to 45 and there was dirty smoke out of the exhaust. EGR cooler was replaced a little over a year ago so I'm sure that it was not water going into the exhaust. Also it the smoke was not black, looked dirty. Limped her home and got on line. Been working with a guy from the Gulf Coast, seems to be well experienced on the 6L. All of the pluming up to the turbo has been removed so I could look into the turbo. It does turn when the engine is running. At idle the turbo seems to be up to speed. (I didnot increase engine speed, didn't see any need). Is there any way to check the vane control valve, or the voltage to the valve other than running up the engine? If it is the VGT I would like to be sure before I start pulling parts.
'04 F250 SD 6.0 L (Stock) 173K miles Good highway truck. I'm just not diesel experienced.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Are you SURE that all of the boots on the intake cooler air lines are connected and tight. This sounds like you blew a boot off the intake charge cooler (intercooler). The black smoke gives me this clue (no boost).

Dave

wcsmithiii

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dave Ben: I checked the inlet route boots from the inner cooler to the turbo and found nothing loose, I will go back and check again.
RoyBoy: Have not checked for codes, I do not have a reader and the local "Dealer" I would not trust with my oldest Briggs And Straton. His mechanics either. Any other ideas?

I'll be back on it tomorrow and get back to you both. I do appreciate the ideas. Thanks.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Other than DaveBen's idea, these things are virtually impossible to diagnose without a scanner. I'd recommend either getting one, or finding a good mechanic you can trust. :sweet

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that they are hard enough to diagnose WITH a scanner :rant

:lmao

wcsmithiii

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at "OBDLink SX ScanTool" any experience with this or a recommendation for another? Not looking for a ""This is THE one"" endorsement.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You want to make sure that what ever scanner you get will read FORD TRUCKS. They use a CAN communications protocol to read the OBD II codes. Many readers will not read Ford Trucks.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the OBDLink site and that is a cheap ass scanner. Only 7 days support?? You gotta be kidding me. DO NOT BUY THIS ONE. It is junk!

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58