Lots of Smoke

turbo tim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello guys , I have a 2002 superduty 7.3 . Recently I noticed when I started it I'm having a lot of smoke (blue) while it's warming up . Engine still runs great - no power loss ( smoke dies down considerably after the engine is fully warmed up) . There also seems to be a lot of residue around the turbo boots as they exit to the engine intake . Is this symptomatic of a turbo going out ?
Thanks for your help and advice ! - Tim

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Mine smokes like hell when its cold outside and I dont plug it in. If I plug it in it will puff a tiny bit when cranking then its gone. I need to replace some glow plugs but dont have the time right now so I just plug it in on a timer. I set the timer for 3 or 4 hours before I leave in the morning. Try it! No Smoke and smooth starts! Oh fill out your signature so we know what year, make, model, miles, and mods you have on your truck. To fill out signature go to User CP and on the left edit signature!! Oh yea WELCOME!!

Last edited:

ducky1402

Reaction score
blue smoke=oil burning? i think that is normally the equation not sure of much past that.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
911 Diesel Down!!! This forum is to be used if your truck is Disabled and in immediate need of assistance.

yeah.... :innocent

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim ?

It's a Dezel.. they make smoke sometimes, at start-up.

Unless you start to see excessive Oil Consumption, or get to a No-Start situation.. not to worry. Just keep an eye on things for awhile ?

Joe

turbo tim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well , it's definately way worse than normal , I was 4 quarts down , and my oil change was about 1.5 months ago . I let it idle for about 30 minutes out in front of my shop during the daylight ( scarce in alaska this time of year ) and then I drove it across the parking lot at about half throttle , the resulting smoke cloud that followed me looked sorta like a forest fire had lit up in the area . Gonna try the turbo today , hope that's it . I'll keep you guys informed ( I'm sure you are on the edge of your seat !) haha :D

turbo tim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine smokes like hell when its cold outside and I dont plug it in. If I plug it in it will puff a tiny bit when cranking then its gone. I need to replace some glow plugs but dont have the time right now so I just plug it in on a timer. I set the timer for 3 or 4 hours before I leave in the morning. Try it! No Smoke and smooth starts! Oh fill out your signature so we know what year, make, model, miles, and mods you have on your truck. To fill out signature go to User CP and on the left edit signature!! Oh yea WELCOME!!

Thanks buddy !

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim ?

It's a Dezel.. they make smoke sometimes, at start-up.

Unless you start to see excessive Oil Consumption, or get to a No-Start situation.. not to worry. Just keep an eye on things for awhile ?

Joe

Well , it's definately way worse than normal , I was 4 quarts down , and my oil change was about 1.5 months ago .

Well, that answered that.

hope you get it figured out.

turbo tim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, that answered that.

hope you get it figured out.

Thanks , just taking a break here from the install to eat a snack . All the turbo air pressure outlet lines were heavily coated in oil and some puddling , I think I probably have it nailed down .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg