Lots of Smoke

dpantazis

Reaction score
tim-

that is a LOT of oil to be consuming, but not unheard of. how many miles in the month and a half? how much idling time?

read up on the IC boots, they come loose due to the oil in the CCV system. come of that oil might have collected in the intercooler too. take them off, there are 4 total on the IC pipes and 2 on the manifolds. then clean up the pipes really well, and then use cheap hairspray if can to lube/reglue them when reassembling.

be careful tightening down on the manifolds, they are sheet metal and can crumble. DAMHIKT

think about getting a racor unit to recover some of that oil. i would NOT do the open ccv vent, if you do have blowby issues, you could suck unfiltered air through it.

good luck, stay warm.

dp

turbo tim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New turbo + air filter installed , still burning oil like crazy . :rant

Engine has good power , fuel economy is still good $1200 down the tubes ( at least I have a spare turbo now . ANy ideas what to check ( or throw at it next) ? I put the tuning back to stock , it's using about a quart every 100 miles

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
New turbo + air filter installed , still burning oil like crazy . :rant

Engine has good power , fuel economy is still good $1200 down the tubes ( at least I have a spare turbo now . ANy ideas what to check ( or throw at it next) ? I put the tuning back to stock , it's using about a quart every 100 miles

well, while you were in there you must have seen the up pipes or "babys but" and if that was soaked with oil Id say it has to be a cut "o" ring. :dunno a buzz test wont show this would it???

turbo tim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well, while you were in there you must have seen the up pipes or "babys but" and if that was soaked with oil Id say it has to be a cut "o" ring. :dunno a buzz test wont show this would it???

There was quite a bit of oil in the intercooler pipes , that's why I was sure I had figured this out . which "o" ring are you talking about ?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
as said before oil in the intercooler pipes is normal in the 7.3. and yes lots of it. Thats why lots of us have done the CCV mod to ride the trucks of that.

However if you saw oil in the exhaust input to the turbo "babys butt" then it would be your injectors o-rings, or a cracked cup to a injector or something like that. You might be able to find witch one it is by pulling the glow plugs but in all honesty you should never change just one. just do them all.

BUT if you saw no oil in the "babys butt" but oil in the exhaust right after the turbo you would have had a bad turbo.

good luck:sweet:sweet

turbo tim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
as said before oil in the intercooler pipes is normal in the 7.3. and yes lots of it. Thats why lots of us have done the CCV mod to ride the trucks of that.

However if you saw oil in the exhaust input to the turbo "babys butt" then it would be your injectors o-rings, or a cracked cup to a injector or something like that. You might be able to find witch one it is by pulling the glow plugs but in all honesty you should never change just one. just do them all.

BUT if you saw no oil in the "babys butt" but oil in the exhaust right after the turbo you would have had a bad turbo.

good luck:sweet:sweet

here's what the exhaust inlet looked like . I had the engine hooked up to a computer and they say #8 injector is showing a problem. I guess that may be my next step . ( new injector )

IMG_2410.jpg

dpantazis

Reaction score
tt:

lets back up a bit.

1. you are seeping oil at the piping joints at the boots. that means that the oil vapors in the system is condensating out and running on the insides of the pipes until they hit the joints. the oil collects in the crevices and through capillary action wicks out. EVENTUALLY the seal of the boots is broken and then the pipes get oil wet. the oil collects dict and the whole thing looks like a mess.

2. on the 7.3 the source of the oil vapor is from the blowby in the engine that is vented through the CCV into the the fresh air turbo inlet pipe between the air cleaner and the turbo. i am guessing that you saw that connection in removing the turbo.

3. if you are oil wet at the turbo pedestal it could be the pedastal o-rings that went bad. only one of them is visible in the picture you posted. the whole thing looks wet though it might be due to removal.

4. what if any axial and radial play do you have in your turbo, old and new ones?

5. what is the code you are getting for #8 injector being bad? #8 is NOTORIOUS for many other reasons, when in fact it may truely be ok. who is 'they'?

6. how often are you sitting a long time at idle? are you using an idle controller? you might be wet stacking. google it.

dp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg