Loud whining kinda sound when towing?

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to up the ante to $23 and agree with PowerBoater. That is some kinda fan in this thing. I always worry I am going to suck in some small Fiat or something when it kicks in :innocent What cracks me up is every time this thing kicks in, my wife goes "Whats that!" What is funny about it is that usually she would not notice the tranny falling out from under the truck.
Mine usually only kicks in when towing in warm weather or steep grades. Sure makes the tranny temp fall in a hurry:hail

rigdog43

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
lil orange cooling line going to egr cooler was leaking on mine , never showed to be hot , but started to make that noise when i run on it hard . teck said fan can change pitch electrolicly. (check the coolant level) the gauge will not move untill its about too late . thats my 2 cents , i ain't got 24 bucks or a window to throw it out of
hope this helps !
rigdog :cowboy:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Sure does sound like the radiator fan and boy they roar on the 6.0's when they get hot especially when in tow on grades.

Mine started making this sound yesterday while pulling the travel trailer. First time I pulled it since getting the 06E17 flash. Are the two related? I started thinking something was wrong with the truck, but everything seems normal...EGT's are a bit higher than usual, but ambient air temp is about 20 degrees warmer as of late.

Should I get it checked out or is it normal? Sounds like a fan--a BIG fan--is kicking on when pulling up a grade or getting on the turbo. Started doing it when accelerating hard WITHOUT the trailer, too.

:dunno :confused:

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
cdraayer said:
Sometimes when I am towing something heavy up a steep grade I hear a loud whirring or whining sound, and it goes away as soon as the load decreases. Until now I've thought it was some kind of tranmission cooler or something, but since I've been towing more and more I thought I should make sure.

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks. :dunno
When my cooling fan on my 7.3 came on for the first time, i about crapped my drawers.

I got dollars to doughnuts all you're hearing is the fan clutch cylcing the fan off and on. They are NOISY!

Don't worry about it. Just keep the hammer down and keep on rolling, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Mine started making this sound yesterday while pulling the travel trailer. First time I pulled it since getting the 06E17 flash. Are the two related? I started thinking something was wrong with the truck, but everything seems normal...EGT's are a bit higher than usual, but ambient air temp is about 20 degrees warmer as of late.

Should I get it checked out or is it normal? Sounds like a fan--a BIG fan--is kicking on when pulling up a grade or getting on the turbo. Started doing it when accelerating hard WITHOUT the trailer, too.

:dunno :confused:
It is not the reflash, IMHO, so much as it is the 20* ambient increase. There is nothing to worry about, as long as the truck doesn't overheat, you're in good shape.

BTW, you said BIG FAN. Just so you know, it takes about 25 horsepower to run the fan at 2,000 RPM (from what I've heard). So, when you say BIG FAN, you are not very far off. It is a 25 horsepower, 18" diameter (or so) fan, which moves CFM like you can't believe. It will cool your truck down with a quickness!!!

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
It is not the reflash, IMHO, so much as it is the 20* ambient increase.

Good point, but I never had this noise in the previous 3 years even while towing in Texas in 100 degree heat. Why would it start now?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good point... maybe they bumped something under the hood? Tough to say without hearing it.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
Tough to say without hearing it.

Exactly. I could be describing something completely different from what these other guys are describing. I'm checking out the exhaust in the morning after she's cooled down--just to make sure everythings good and it isn't rubbing (separate issue: new exhaust, still perfecting the adjustment). It almost sounds like there's a hole in the firewall and the whine is more audible. :dunno

I'm starting to sound like a redneck in a trailer park describing what the tornado sounded like...:innocent

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
piggy back
our last run to texas, the fan ran very often but not very long, just about the time you figured out what the noise was it shut off..... except in traffic
in first gear it sounded like a jet blower but we stayed nice and cool tranny never got over 200, water ??? "O" in normal i got to get a real water temp guage

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58