Low Fuel Warning comes on to Soon!!

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On My 06 F 350 long bed my low fuel warning comes on to soon. At about 470 miles the light/tone comes on and about 30 miles after that the truck starts bucking on acceleration. If I drive right to the Fuel station when the light comes on, 28/29 gallons is most fuel I can put in the tank and that’s to the top of the filler neck. I know it is a 38 Gallon tank it looks the same as my 01 that I have put 42.8 gallons in! It wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t put so many miles on my truck in one week.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This is a Dealer item and there is nothing you can do to change the miles to empty on the computer.

Dave

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel pick up problem but I doubt you will convince them to fix it.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobeydick, My truck does the very same thing. Is 28 or 29 gal all that it can use out of the tank?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i get a low fuel warning at 80 miles till empty
and i have driven right down to the dash miles till epmty are at ZERO and she is still running with no bucking,
and then i can squeeze 30 or more gallons in right up to the neck
i did once was climbing the backside of brindlee mountain at a 8% grade watch the fuel gauge go from 1/4 to below empty and i got NERVOUS :eek: :eek: :eek:
since yours is so new i would take her back next time it gets empty and insist there is a problem

PA 6.0

New without a clue
Reaction score
This must be pretty common. The first time I filled mine up it was at about 1/8 of a tank but the LFW had not come on yet. I figured it was pretty low but was only able to get 29 gallons in. Next time I ran it until the LFW message appeared and still only managed to get 31 gallons in! I figure at bare minimum I've got a good 80-90 miles or so left once the fuel message appears.

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I took it to the dealer on Thursday they said there was nothing they could do, they said they called Ford and Ford said there was nothing was wrong with it!! 38 Gallon tank, Low fuel warning came on 2 miles from station on Saturday. It Showed 50 Miles to Empty. It took 30.414 gallons to fill it. 38 gallon tank!! I called Ford Assistance Friday and they called the Dealer. Dealer wants me to bring it in Monday to get the Engineering number off the tank!! The tank is the same size as My 01 that I still have!!

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership put a new sensor in it, didn't change a thing. Low fuel light came on I stopped and filled it up. Shows 50 miles to empty holds 30.214 gallons at that time!

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
What if your computer is calibrated for the 29 gal tank and the 37 gal tank got put in at the last minute? I just got a E350 with the 6.0 and it has a 37 gallon tank. The computer is probably off calibration or they put the pick up tube for the 29 gal tank in the 37 gal tank. You might have both these errors.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Have you actually checked to make 100% sure that it is the 38 gal tank?? Just because "it looks" the same like you said doesn't really mean squat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14