manual or auto for towing

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im just curious what everybody thinks about which is better for towing,manual or auto,give plenty of explanation also,i think an auto is,prove me wrong

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's just a matter of Personal Choice.

I'm a Standard Tranny guy, allwayz have been. I tow alot. I like the option to "Stick" it into the gear it Needs to be in, When, or before, it needs to be there. My choice.

I Will say: If FORD ever hooked up with Allison.. I'd prolly take a hard look at a Auto tranny. That GM/Allison tranny IS Sweet.

Joe

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
for towing hands down stick, they have more longevity and better control. Plus chunk the auto and your talking alot more than pocket change, chunk the stick and you can pick up a take out tranny a few hundred...

for racing hands down automatic, you just can't outshift em in a race screnario.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
Stick, mainly because it's harder to screw on of them up when towing. Typically if you overload it, you'll smoke a clutch before any major harm is done. Like Big Joe said, you have the control over what gear your in and how long and when your in it. Just my :2c

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For only towing a standard is better, no worrying about tranny temp and t c slipping plus it gets the power to the ground better. All that and I have an auto tranny, but what can I say the autos are way better for driving in town!;)

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive towed aloooot with an auto and will not own any other. yes they are more expensive to fix, but they are so much nicer to drive thna a manual. Our 2 tow trucks have minimal tranny mods (pump mods, valve body, non billet upgraded triple disk and stock clutches) and never over heat with a 6oh tq shift cooler. A manual is fine, but i have a couple friends with obs 5 spds and they cant seem to keep syncros alive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58