maybe i just dont know what the #@!& i am doin.

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fixed noise problem the other day. then got a water in fuel light on the dash. drained the bowl/water seperator per owners manual. still have the light. drained a couple of more times, still have the light. bought new fuel, still have the light. next i am getting a new filter if that doesnt fix it............then? any ideas?

thanks, banana

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the fuel filter, they are cheap for the 7.3 and not to hard to get to.
Doug

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're still gatting the light after doing the above, drain some fuel from the bowl into a clear glass jar. Let it sit for awhile, if there's water in it you should see it separate out. Sometimes it will take a awhile (and a bunch of bowl drains) to get rid of it all. Cheers!

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i changed the filter, still had light on. took it out looked down in the bowl, and saw MUD. cleaned it out really well, put it back together light is out. thank you. how often should the bowl be drained? i think it probably would be a good idea to do this to avoid the mud?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i changed the filter, still had light on. took it out looked down in the bowl, and saw MUD. cleaned it out really well, put it back together light is out. thank you. how often should the bowl be drained? i think it probably would be a good idea to do this to avoid the mud?

;tu

The Mud (sediment) you found is inherent to Diesel Fuel(s). Entrained water is too.

But, it could have been a built-up, from 13 years of use.. or maybe you've recently, unknowingly, got a tank of dirty fuel, last time you filled up.

If the station where you last bought diesel.. had recently received a load of fuel, [Their tank] sediments got stirred up, from the re-supply delivery.

FWIW ? Based on gallon-age pumped (sold).. stations are >supposed to have< their "Bottoms Stripped", But.. Sometimes that gets done.... Sometimes it doesn't. Some stations have an in-line, before the nozzle.. filter.. some don't.

Lot's of variables, as to where the mud came from.

How often should it be cleaned/drained ??... Everytime I change the fuel filter (15K Max), I clean the inside of the filter canister, real good.. and drain a good Pint.. at each Oil Change (5K)... but if I'm on the road.. I'll drain some more often.. If I've had to buy fuel from No-name stations, I did'nt feel good about. I also carry an extra filter, at all times. Ya never know.

Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I never saw mud in the fuel filter bowl of my '93 IDI. I had the truck for 11 years and I checked it every oil change.

Dave

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always buy my diesel from the same shell station. hmmm? maybe its time for a different station. I know down here in Florida stations periodically change there tanks, i think it may be due to ground water levels and leaking. this station has been here quite awhile.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never saw mud in the fuel filter bowl of my '93 IDI. I had the truck for 11 years and I checked it every oil change.

Dave

The word MUD.. is misleading Dave. Enherant, Diesel Fuel Sediments would be a more correct statement.

Back in my Bulk Fuel dayz.. when we would strip (clean) our bulk DF tanks, after pumping them down to where we detected off spec PPMs of sediments.. the rest went to the Slop tanks. When the main pump lost suction, we would then go in the tank and Hand Strip the rest of the "Muck", off the sides and bottom..with squeegee's, into the sumps.. and haul it out by buckets full. Then clean the tanks to a Spec, by lab sample.. refill, sample, sample and sample 'til the tank could go back On Line. Some of the Muck was in the form of a Rusty scale.

A Real Eye Opener for me.. the first time.

Diesel fuel is, by it's Nature.. Dirty... With entrained water in it. Whalla=.. the Filter/Separators we need to use/maintain.

I always buy my diesel from the same shell station. hmmm? maybe its time for a different station. I know down here in Florida stations periodically change there tanks, i think it may be due to ground water levels and leaking. this station has been here quite awhile.

No, No.. your probably just fine at your local station.. just maybe be more diligent about cleaning the canister bowl :dunno Keep an eye on it... cuz you had the "Muck" in there :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14