maybe i just dont know what the #@!& i am doin.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The word MUD.. is misleading Dave. Enherant, Diesel Fuel Sediments would be a more correct statement.

Back in my Bulk Fuel dayz.. when we would strip (clean) our bulk DF tanks, after pumping them down to where we detected off spec PPMs of sediments.. the rest went to the Slop tanks. When the main pump lost suction, we would then go in the tank and Hand Strip the rest of the "Muck", off the sides and bottom..with squeegee's, into the sumps.. and haul it out by buckets full. Then clean the tanks to a Spec, by lab sample.. refill, sample, sample and sample 'til the tank could go back On Line. Some of the Muck was in the form of a Rusty scale.

A Real Eye Opener for me.. the first time.

Diesel fuel is, by it's Nature.. Dirty... With entrained water in it. Whalla=.. the Filter/Separators we need to use/maintain.

No, No.. your probably just fine at your local station.. just maybe be more diligent about cleaning the canister bowl :dunno Keep an eye on it... cuz you had the "Muck" in there :dunno

Five years ago today I was working for the DOT when Katrina came into Mississippi. We borrowed some portable fuel tanks which gave us problem after problem. It turned out to be actual muck and literal mud in the bottoms of the tanks. The tanks came from a grading contractor. The tanks would literally suck dust and dirt into the tanks when fuel was being pumped out of the tanks. We had no way of cleaning the tanks and could only filter the fuel as best we could. We screwed up many fuel systems on patrol cars and equipment while using the tanks. Its hard to believe we are five years past Hurricane Katrina but I still have repair projects from the damage ongoing.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a little experiment yal oda do sometime:

When you fuel up, shoot some "clean" diesel fuel into a clean, clear jar.. at the pump. Put a good lid on it. Note the color... Put it away somewhere safe.. leave it alone for a month or two.

Take it out.. and take a Good look.. at the color and whats in the bottom of the jar.

I'll Betcha the color changed.. has some brown muck particles and small water droplets in the bottom. Maybe even some Alge ?

It'll give you a better appreciation for Why it's so important to maintain our Fuel Filters.... so they can do their job.

Related ? Bio fuels have solvents in'm that will clean up all the muck thats in our fuel lines and the tank.. too. causing a couple filter changes... if and when.. we switch to bio ?? (Kinda Same/Same as stripping the bulk tanks. I mentioned earlier.. as far as particulates are concerned?)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14