Might be buying a truck - What to pay??

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the scoop guys. I am really looking to take advantage of the current offers (and hardship) of Ford right now. Of course I am gonna get whacked around a little on my trade in, F350 DRW diesel CC 4x4. But, if I can really get the right price on a new 08 gasser, it would be nice to lower my payment. Again, I love my truck, but a lower payment would be sweet. Unfortunately an F150 won't do the trick since I don't feel it's up to the task of towing my car (#6500). Rated yes......up to it.....no.

I have found one that I REALLY REALLY like a lot. It has everything I want with the exception of the sunroof. The dealer had already told me they can't do anything on the price blah blah blah outside of employee pricing and 2,000 cash back. Where would you guys start with the offer for this truck:

2008 F-SERIES SD F250 4X4 CREW/C - New Inventory Details at Gjovik Ford Mercury, Inc. - Your Sandwich, Illinois Ford Mercury dealer

The employee price is like 41,150 then tack on the 2k cash back and $500 more if I finance thru Ford. Let's not worry about the trade in for now. I'll deal with that part. I was thinking of telling them that I will pay 33k + taxes.

Whaddya think???

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
The only thing they can tell you is no. I've heard that there are some really good deals to be had. It shouldn't be hard to $8k off. Like you said they might not want your trade very badly. It is the end of the month, make your move now or wait until next month.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
You may lower your payment by trading out, but you could simply refinance and accomplish that too. Trading trucks in an attempt to lower your payments will cost you thousands of REAL dollars. You will take a HUGE hickey on your trade-in, even if you get a great deal on the new one. Remember, they are offering great deals on new ones for a reason. THEY AREN'T SELLING! That being the case, how well do you think USED PSDs are selling? Trust me, THEY DON'T WANT YOUR USED TRUCK!!! They will prove that to you in their offer!

If your motivation is to save money, you are FAR better off to save yourself $4000-5000 by selling your truck yourself.

I am on a first name basis with a guy who owns a local Ford dealership which bears his name. "Employee pricing" or not, they make sure they make their money.

Do your homework!

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
Thats not enough off....I saw one the other day for 13k off. I'd lowball the $h!t out of them. Offer 30k +tt&l. Maybe even lower than that. They are in a really bad pinch and I think you can really stick it to them.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Please don't miss the point! THOSE ARE ALL HOOKS! They WILL make their money on the trade! They are banking on trade-ins after they get you on the lot!

They wrote the book on LOW-BALLING!!!! Don't kid yourself into thinking they don't know how to play the game!

JRJ04

Reaction score
when i meant low balling, i meant on both sides...stick it to them all the way around.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please don't miss the point! THOSE ARE ALL HOOKS! They WILL make their money on the trade! They are banking on trade-ins after they get you on the lot!

They wrote the book on LOW-BALLING!!!! Don't kid yourself into thinking they don't know how to play the game!

YES!!!! I would DEFINATELY see what they offer you(in writing) for your current truck FIRST.....Then play make a deal on the new one. I would be very interested to hear what they offer you for the truck...

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Unfortunately an F150 won't do the trick since I don't feel it's up to the task of towing my car (#6500). Rated yes......up to it.....no
You are correct - rated-Yes but not up to the task. We have a 05' F150 and might be trading it in on a new 08' but it is the wifes daily driver not our tow rig, thats what the Diesel is for.

They are however offering much better deals on the F150 than the F250. The F150 has a $3,000 customer loyalty cash deal that the SD doesn't along with $1000 ford credit cash rather than $500. The $2000 customer cash is the same. I am looking at a F150 with a sticker of $45,395 and I will be into it for $27,174($18,221 off) as where a F250 I was looking at with a sticker price of around 45k could only be talked down to about 33k(12k off). We burn enough fuel with the 5.4 so we decided to save 6k and skip the V10 but would go that route if I didn't have the F350 PowerStroke already.

The truck you are looking at has a MSRP of $45,265 so I would guess they would sell it to you for $33,000(12k off). There is no way that the employee price on a 45k sticker is 41K, I did not find a single truck on the lot that had a employee price that was not at least 6k lower than sticker.

It has everything I want with the exception of the sunroof.
I would keep looking until you find the one that has everything you want. Wife wanted a sunroof when we got our 05' and I did not really like the color. We have never been happy with it since it was not exactly what we wanted. one we are looking at now has all the right stuff plus more and I am guessing we would be much happier with it. When spending close to 30K a guy should get what he wants. When I purchased Crummy 12 years ago I got exactly what I wanted and have been happy with it.

dpantazis

Reaction score
i'd offer $30k and tell them the offer is good for 30 seconds. then walk out and drive home.

there are SOOO many trucks out there, you found one, i would bet that there are 10 more within a 3 hour drive.

d00d, think about taking a ride up to WI and go truck shopping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58