Might Buy A Fiver, Need Help!!!

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Hey guys, This is the first time Ive tuned to you all when I am really nervous. I am thinking about buying A 2002 Cougar Fifth wheel 28' for 18,800.
The guy is really nice he's told me if there is anything that comes up after the purchase he will try to make it right. He says thats is how confident he is in his trailer. It looks good. He has even offered free storage on his property for a year or more. It has a cover, hitch stablizer, new tires, rear hitch, A/C, Bunk house, the trailer has everything and seems to be in great condition. What do you all think? What do I need to check? What do I heed to know? He does have it lifted, but what should I measure without actually having to install a hitch first. Remember I do have a short bed. It does not appear Ill even need to use a slider hitch but do I? What about ride height, how do I assure it will ride level? What about weight, there is alot of guys aroud here that ride around in trucks that are squatting, I cant stand that. Do I need bags? I need all the experience you all can muster. Looking for quick buy about wendsday of this week. Hurry, flood me with info please. :hail :hail

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a 289BHS with two slide outs? Give me some numbers on what it is.
From looking at a page I found about the Cougar Fifth wheels, a 28' footer is 30 foot and 1 or two in. long. They are light as for as your truck goes. You can pull it with no problems. I would get a sliding hitch.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not knowing any more than I know about it, I think he is a little high on the price. Here is what I get on NAPA. TOTAL PRICE $13,700 $16,525 .
Good luck.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man im looking for a cougar BHS (travel trailer)...need the four bunk
version though...and im not finding much USED...maybe im not looking
in the right place...

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After going through buying from an individual, here's some suggestions on stuff to look for.

1. Was it winterized -- PROPERLY? PO of my trailer forgot to drain the water heater and it leaked BAD...$800-$1K to fix it.

2. Check for water damage & leaks (from rain). Not likely, but something to look for.

I think the price is a bit high also...but sometimes it's better to pay more for something you KNOW isn't going to have problems, than to pay bottom dollar and have to fix a bunch of stuff.

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Here's what I do when looking at used RV's. I keep it in two sections. One is like looking at a house. Look at the appliances, carpet, roof(inside), bathroom fixtures,tub, etc. Things you would normally look at in buying a home. The second is, look at it like buying a used car, wheels tires, dents/dings. Rust or wood rot, water stains, roof(outside) for cracks or low hanging tree damage(it happens) lights,plugs. As far as weight, My 5er is about 8,000lbs and it has about 1200lbs pin weight. My overload springs JUST touch the perches when loaded. So If you can have it weighed to see what kind of pin weigh you have. Also does it have an extended pin box for the hitch? (Pin is out in front of the front of the trailer. Or is it a convential box(pin back under the front of the trailer. IF you have an extended pin you should be allright with a short box, but you WILL have to watch the back of the cab during tight backing turns. Hope this helps. Russ

woofer700

Diesel is cool
Reaction score
we just purchased a 07 couger (291 RL ) the price was 24,600. this is a double slide. cant really help with the what to look for stuff as this is our first 5th wheel also. I think the price is a little high, 02s around here, go somewhere between 10 and 15, if you need some web sites let me know, I know of 2 o4s going for 14,500 now, at local dealer, one is a cherokee, the other is a cruiser, both nice units. does the couger your looking at have the polar package (fully enclosed and insulated underbelly)?

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice it will come in handy. The guy Im buying from is out of town but I stopped by today and looked at the model and I think its a- 281 Keystone Cougar. One slide and the bunk house (3 bunks), He had it lifted professionally by using longer hangers and beefed cross member pieces on them plus real stout bumper hitch on it and he put the 10 ply tires and upgraded wheels. The pin box is extended but I went ahead and purchsed a slider hitch and some airbags just to be safe. Im half way done with installing the hitch. With the cover the free storage and now he just through the hitch in to bad he was 2 late but I can sell it I hope Im getting a good deal. I printed out all your advise and Ill take it with me to do the final inspection. I check the sight before I go if there is anything else you guys think of.
Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58