Mileage

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got this 250 2 weeks ago. That week i was averaging 15 mpg. Following week we took it to Tenn. from SC 400? miles or so, avg 15-16 mpg on hiway. Not great but not sweating it. Now coming back to SC I'm hitting 13-14 mpg on the hiway. Driving around town NOW my computer tells me I'm hitting 9-10. Still gonna hand calculate at next fill-up just to be sure. Any thoughts from my esteemed colleagues on this?

PS..and I've kept a light right foot on it after watching the numbers go down so I can count leadfoot out of the mpg equation.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Winter fuel is NOT good for mileage, but they have been making winter fuel for months now. Not sure why the sudden drop in the mpg's. Don't do by the Lie-O-Meter, hand calculate your mileage.

Dave

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go ....Cetane number is a measure of the ignition quality of a diesel fuel. It is often mistaken as a measure of fuel quality. Cetane number is actually a measure of a fuel's ignition delay. This is the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels.

I put Cetane when I have to get fuel from a station that does not have the good stuff like Cetane numbers 40 and higher. I know down here Hess and Shell have Cetane numbers at 40 or higher. If the station does not post the Cetane numbers. It's a good chance that there below a 40 count.

Last edited:

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
15-16 doesnt sound bad for everything stock. Id check your fuel filter first. Then I would get intake, exhaust and a DP-tuner to improve your milage. I get hand calculated 19-20 mpg's on highway and 15-16 city with a light foot even with 35 inch tires.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
temp has a lot to do with the mileage on these trucks with autos. When cold they don't like to shift into OD as soon as when its warmer so even 50s have an affect. Also I'm assuming it looks like your tires are bigger then stock and unless you have corrected for this its showing less miles on the odometer then you really went making your mileage a little lower. Do not trust your computer so don't sweat it till you calculate it by hand mine was saying for a while I could go over 700 miles till empty thats over 24mpg LOL

JRJ04

Reaction score
cetane booster will LOWER the mileage. just like winter fuel does.

huh? whats the point of it then? ive been putting diesel kleen in for a while? also do the 1qt of 2 cycle motor oil too. should i only be doing the 2 cycle oil?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
huh? whats the point of it then? ive been putting diesel kleen in for a while? also do the 1qt of 2 cycle motor oil too. should i only be doing the 2 cycle oil?

if it's the white bottle, it has anti-gel in it as well.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't say but what were the weather conditions while driving? Another possibility could also be the way back could have some steeper grades. I drive to ATL a lot with a 25 'gn and my mileage unloaded is almost as bad as when I'm hauling 7000# on the way home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58