Help Needed miss, stumble, and dies

proudvet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
good batteries and new cps = no good

o.k. I went and got another cps, this one from ford. I put it on and changed the oil. The truck ran like a champ for about 5 minutes then started surging badly and died. I let it sit for a few minutes and then limped home. Almost forgot, the batteries are good. Any more ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Yeah.
Injector Pressure Regulator (IPR)

read the other guys thread, Brandon tells you how to access and service it..

I was thinking might want to start by making sure the ICP sensor in the front of the left head doesn't have a puddle of oil & snot in the connector...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o.k. I went and got another cps, this one from ford. I put it on and changed the oil. The truck ran like a champ for about 5 minutes then started surging badly and died. I let it sit for a few minutes and then limped home. Almost forgot, the batteries are good. Any more ideas? Thanks.

Yeah.. what JLD said, would be the next thing to check.

proudvet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ICP didn't have oil on it and changed the IPR. The same thing happens. Runs very rough and shuts down.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
From here, two things to go check; Have access to some professional grade tools?

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and watch the pressure when it dies...

Or put a scanner on it and look at data like
injector pulse width
ICP pressure
MAP data

another quick check you might do.. there's a plug in the back of the high-pressure oil pump (HPOP) next to the fuel bowl.. next time it quits, pop that out real quick and see where the oil level is..

proudvet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fixed

Thanks for the help guys. I finally towed it to the shop. It ended up being the number 3 injector. The o rings were pretty bad. We pulled the rest of the injectors to look at their o rings and they were fine. Replaced and running. Thanks for the help.
;tu

DennyF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2006 6.0L has been starting rough the last couple of mornings (really black exhaust, rough running, eventually smooths out and performs normally all day, engine light on). Today it won't start. Tries to start roughly, but won't. Any ideas where to start?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) maybe dead or deing. You need to get a scanner to find out what codes are stored in the PCM. They will give you a clue. Any good shop should be able to scan your truck.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58