missing and rough idle

williamsjaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
While running on the freeway I notice my truck start to miss under 3/4 to full throttle. It only happens sporadically usually after I slow down (either caught behind a slow vehicle or road construction). After running slow for a couple miles I get on it and it will miss and the trans won't shift right punch the throttle and some times it down shifts, misses, upshifts w no power, downshifts again and all is good. Other times it just down shifts w no power. I have made it continuely miss by holding throttle fla to the floor for a mile or two hoping for it to throw an engine code but with no luck. This happens on average about 150 miles of free way driving. It's been to the shop 3 times for this and no fix yet of course they cannot duplicate it bc they wont drive it long enough. Dealer sayes it's just bc of regin cycle. Sorry a new truck shouldn't do this! I have almost been run over twice when passing bc of DRASTIC loss of power and missing! Truck is an f250 auto 4x4 3.73 w 16k on it, now has done this since 500 miles at which time it blew tons of white smoke and no power for a mile then ran fine. Side note when it does start missing most of the time I can let off throttle let it upshift, punch it again and it down shifts and runs just fine. IDK help needed. Thanks.

JRJ04

Reaction score
im not 6.4 expert...but that sure sounds like a regen issue. the white smoke is more than likely unburnt fuel.

lets start with the simple stuff though...you said youve got around 15k on it. probably wouldnt be a bad idea to ahead and change your fuel filters...that could be an issue. also, it could be a bad batch of fuel. have you tried multiple gas stations? what about the air filter? unrestricted and clean?

williamsjaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It has done this since it was new. Yes part may be from regin but that being said when it starts to miss you can floor it and at times not gain more than a couple miles an hour in a min and it has a shimmy as if it is missing on a cylinder. Yes it is time to change the fuel filter at this point which I am having them do bf picking it up from this round at the dealer. But since it has done it since I bought it new and it has been multiple fuel stops from Ia to Tx to Sd and Colorado I'm not leaning towards a filter problem. I do think it has a little to do w/ the regin do to the fack it's not throwing a code and this thing is supposed to have an amazing computer on it. I'm leaning towards another problem and the regin just magnifies it. I have read that some egr issues kinda sound like whats going on but I'm still looking for a couple people w the same issue going on or previously that have fixed it. Thank you for the help and keep them coming.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all :SDD If its under warranty then I would let the dealer have it until they can reproduce the problem to see for themselves what you are talking about. New trucks should not do this. They are too expensive to have problems at 15K.

williamsjaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You are completely correct they have had it 3 time 2 of which for a week at a time but they don't put anyone in it to make a 400 mile roud trip to figure it out. It's an on and off again problem. Usually only does it on free way as I travel from one side of Iowa to the other or any other long trips.

williamsjaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Owww and thanks Smoky I had a profile on here bf when I owned my 99 7.3 but it has been a couple years and didn't remember my log in info so I started over.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there another dealer close by that you can take the truck to? Something not right here.
Doug

Reverend Jim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with mine. It has 20k on it and has been to the dealer twice now for this. Their "fix" was to replace the charge-cooler. It didn't make a difference. Let me know how you make out.

JRJ04

Reaction score
That dealer is an idiot...throwing parts at something instead of diagnosing the problem...They replaced your intercooler in hopes of correcting a fuel-related problem?:lmao

Reverend Jim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree about the dealer's incompetence. I'm searching for another. Just spoke with a friend who has an '08 F450 with the same issue. Hope somebody figures this out soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58