Missing/no power

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Good call JLDickmon!

Baby has arrived- all ten fingers and toes of poopy screamy fun!

Was not the IDM. Used the test module, no change. Put IDM back in, reassembled fender.
Used a really fancy code reader from my buddy at international, and it said #1and #3 injector were bad.
Also gave inconsistent fuel pressure readings. Once it was fine, next it was waaaay low, third time it was fine. Sooo, replaced fuel pump, it resolved the no start issue.
Now, starts, and runs, but ****ty.

Upon my buddies suggestion, we tested the glow plugs, resistance read the same as before, just fine. Took glow plugs out and tested them out of truck, four were bad.

Lets review lessons learned.

1. Remember a real code reader can be an invaluable tool!
2. Fuel pump failing caused injectors to go bad and no start issues.
3. For totally accurate reading on glow plugs, best to pull them out.

Wish me luck, replacing them tomorrow. Here is some links to those reading this that will help you do the same thing.;tu

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/wiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=9

Injector Oring Installation pictures from outdoors photos on webshots

Again, thanks JLDickmon, DaveBen, and BigJoe, BigRgr, and IRaceMine, for sticking it out with me this whole time.

BDJack was it the glow plugs that finally made the truck run correctly or was it a injector problem?
My truck seems to be missing a little with a little power loss. I had beans stage 1 injectors put in 8 months ago so i hope i dont have another injector problem. I have a fuel filter on the frame rail then a Carter 4600hp fuel pump helping get fuel to the factory pump. The Carter fuel pump pooped out on me last week. I was about 20 miles from home when it happened so I unplugged the pump(it was screaming loud) and limped home with factory fuel pump pulling through filter and dead pump then pushing through fuel filter in fuel bowl. As you can guess i had little power to get home. I removed the pump and by passed the fuel filter on the rail. With the restriction of the filter and dead pump gone the truck ran better but not great(seemed to be missing on a cylinder or just kind of rough). I got the new pump in today and it still seems rough on acceleration and at idle. Does this sound like injector has died from the lack of fuel pressure or maybe a glow plug problem? I had smoky starts this winter if not plugged in even after 4 key cycles. I will have hard, smoky starts now(60 degrees at night) if I dont cycle the key a few times. It was not hard to start and smoky like this last spring and summer. Oh, and I have 400k miles on the old girl now! I appreciate any help I can get from all you guys!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a cylinder that is not pulling its weight. Now I can't tell if it is an injector or a loss of compression in that one cylinder. You will need to get the truck scanned to see if there are any codes telling you what cylinder is down on power. I would change the injector as it is a lot cheaper than doing a rebuild on the block. The hard starts seem to point at a rebuild in your future. Get it to a good mechanic for some sound advise.

Dave

BDJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My issues were a number of things. Fuel Pump on its way out, caused #1 and #3 injector to fail. That and a ****ty cps that I bought from autozone (it was the type that was recalled) The pump and the injectors fixed my situation.

The International cps (24.00) made it stop acting up when it rained.:dunno

Your symptoms sound eerily similar. Get that truck on a really good scanner and if your injectors pop a code, call beans...

Good luck!

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Thanks BDJack! Im looking for a halfway honest shop here in Raleigh, NC if anybody has any suggestions!

Should I get a scanner or get the software to use on my laptop? Is the software easy to use/understand? Thanks!;tu

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would get the Autoenginuity software/hardware and use your laptop. It is a very versatile tool and has features that you can use in some daily driving, like their "racing" software where you can drag race yourself without a quarter mile track. It uses the Odometer to measure the track and times. Pretty cool. Can't d that with any hardware scanner. AutoEnginuity® - OBD2 Scan Tool - Professional PC and PDA Diagnostics

Dave

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I just ordered the Ford Scan Tool Bundle from AutoEnginuity!! It wasnt cheap but, no more guessing!! Thanks all!;tu

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am glad to see you get the AE Scanner tool. If more people would realize that they will have almost no idea of what is going on with these trucks, maybe they would get a scanner. Too many people are guessing and throwing parts at their problems.

Dave :)

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
i am glad to see you get the ae scanner tool. If more people would realize that they will have almost no idea of what is going on with these trucks, maybe they would get a scanner. Too many people are guessing and throwing parts at their problems.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58