Question more new truck-buying decisions '10 vs '11

doc stang

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have 99% honed in on getting the new 2011 F-250, crew, 4x4, diesel, auto.

i WAS leaning towards a 2010, and then droping the DPF/regen crap, with ~$2k of mods from spartan diesel technologies,
---like my buddy who did so to his '08, and is getting ~22 mpg.

BUT . . .

I was talking to a landscaper yesterday, about his '09 F-350,
and once we were on the topic of regen cycles,
he pointed out, he dosent do a lot of long drives, and does lot of short hops (from one customer to another, to the office, etc,) and . . .

when it goes into regen mode, it may be there all day, (wasting diesel), because he doesnt drive long enough for it to finish the burn (and hence, restarts it at the next short drive to the next customer).

so, it would seem that the spartan diesel mods would eliminate this problem; AND improve MPG, . . .

i live in south carolina, where, (at least for now), emissions arent tested, and there is no regular vehicle inspection.

downsides, are :
if inspections / emmisions testing ever ARE imposed . .
then:
mods come off,
OME goes back on,
regn cycles are dealt with,
and MPG goes back down to stock.

so all this . . .
(and the airconditioned seats)
have nudged me to wait a few more months for a 2011.

thoughts and input on the regen issues welcome.
thanks,
doc

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I am no expert on the topic, but lets just remember that the exhaust is still being limited on emmissions somehow. Let me be clear, I don't know how. I DO know that you need that fluid for conditioning the exhaust, I am not sure if it takes place of the diesel fuel and is fed to the DPF or it is sprayed into the motor. Maybe you can help me about how the conditioning works on the newbies, is there a dpf? is there even a regen?

I guess my point is, if there IS in fact some sort of regen, you could have the same problem, paying for this new fluid instead of diesel; because who really knows right now if they have fixed the problem. And I hear that stuff is expensive.

Additionally, if you do want to up the milage on the 2011, you will need to wait for the aftermarket companies to design your products, then buy them at absolute full price if you buy them soon because they are brand spanking new. Plus, they (aftermarket companies) might find they have designed a bogus product and you are stuck paying for the fix (in the case of a tuner).

I would spartan your current truck

Sorry if I didn't help - Good luck

btw - I plan to do the spartan setup on mine, I bet it will get better milage then the 2011.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd get the new 6.7 Ford built motor. I've heard a lot of good about how it compares to GM & Dodge. There are videos on-line that show head to head MPG, towing passing power, and trailer towing handling compared to the other makes. I was very intrigued.

One bad thing about the 6.4, is for many engine repairs, the cab must be lifted off the frame to make things accessable enough to fix. The dealers say it doesn't take long to do. But once the truck is out of warranty, how much of that repair bill is going to be for lifting the cab & fenders? They say it's easy enough to do if you have done it a few times, IF YOU HAVE A LIFT!! Most of us have floor jacks & jack stands, not sufficient to get a cab off a frame.

The 6.4 may or may not be a good motor. But the point is every motor needs to be worked on sooner or later. Word is that issue with having to remove the cab was resolved with the 6.7.

doc stang

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i dont have a truck, yet,
i am deciding on what to buy, when i sell off or trade in my 08 bullitt.

good point on that :
a) whenever the aftermarket DOES catch up and have stuff for the '11, it will be a while, and
b) it will be WAY more expensive,.

i guess i was looking to see how accurate teh landscaper's point of being in regen cycle all day is, if one is only driving short hauls

this will be my daily driver, ~<20" to work,

but the real reason i am making the switch from car to truck, is :
to tow my race car, in an enclosed trailer, 2-4 hours at a trip, once to twice a month.

so the spartan diesel mods would eliminate the issue,
unless the laws develop teeth, around here.

but the '11 may be the way to go, as well.

???
doc

Well I am no expert on the topic, but lets just remember that the exhaust is still being limited on emmissions somehow. Let me be clear, I don't know how. I DO know that you need that fluid for conditioning the exhaust, I am not sure if it takes place of the diesel fuel and is fed to the DPF or it is sprayed into the motor. Maybe you can help me about how the conditioning works on the newbies, is there a dpf? is there even a regen?

I guess my point is, if there IS in fact some sort of regen, you could have the same problem, paying for this new fluid instead of diesel; because who really knows right now if they have fixed the problem. And I hear that stuff is expensive.

Additionally, if you do want to up the milage on the 2011, you will need to wait for the aftermarket companies to design your products, then buy them at absolute full price if you buy them soon because they are brand spanking new. Plus, they (aftermarket companies) might find they have designed a bogus product and you are stuck paying for the fix (in the case of a tuner).

I would spartan your current truck

Sorry if I didn't help - Good luck

btw - I plan to do the spartan setup on mine, I bet it will get better milage then the 2011.

doc stang

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
6.7 looks good, though i am a little leery of buying the 1st generation of a car/engine,
as there hasn't yet been much time to see what kinks may need working out.

6.4>>>6.0 (from a repair standpoint)(in some opinions)
so hopefully there would not be much cab lifting at all,
(but i know, no one has a crystal ball)

does the 6.7 require cab lifting to do repairs???

If it were me, I'd get the new 6.7 Ford built motor. I've heard a lot of good about how it compares to GM & Dodge. There are videos on-line that show head to head MPG, towing passing power, and trailer towing handling compared to the other makes. I was very intrigued.

One bad thing about the 6.4, is for many engine repairs, the cab must be lifted off the frame to make things accessable enough to fix. The dealers say it doesn't take long to do. But once the truck is out of warranty, how much of that repair bill is going to be for lifting the cab & fenders? They say it's easy enough to do if you have done it a few times, IF YOU HAVE A LIFT!! Most of us have floor jacks & jack stands, not sufficient to get a cab off a frame.

The 6.4 may or may not be a good motor. But the point is every motor needs to be worked on sooner or later. Word is that issue with having to remove the cab was resolved with the 6.7.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was wondering the same about the cab having to come off for engine repairs on the 6.7 but I haven't heard anything about that issue. Is this not an issue with it...kinda seemed like they was starting an unpopular trend with the 6.0 and 6.4.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I never had a 6.4 but I am loving the 6.7. 15mpg hard city out of the box. Haven't had it on the interstate yet. E-locker rear and manually shiftable 6 speed auto did it for me along with it being an in house engine. I am willing to bet that we will see aftermarket stuff before the end of summer.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
does the 6.7 require cab lifting to do repairs???

I have heard the 6.7 does not.

But for the 6.4, not for everything, but more often than you should. Which IMHO should be never.

There have been pictures posted on the forums that 6.4 owners took at dealers while 1/2 of their trucks were up in the air. To be honest, I don't recall if any of those pics were here or not. But between here and/or a couple other forums, I HAVE SEEN THEM.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had a 6.4 but I am loving the 6.7. 15mpg hard city out of the box. Haven't had it on the interstate yet. E-locker rear and manually shiftable 6 speed auto did it for me along with it being an in house engine. I am willing to bet that we will see aftermarket stuff before the end of summer.

I found a site a while back that had aftermarket performance parts for the 6.7L. It was the first and ONLY time I have seen the site. The site dealt in many other brands and even gasoline parts...looed kinda generic but the prices were about right.

dpantazis

Reaction score
i don't think that you are not going to see much aftermarket stuff available the 6.7.

the emissions circuity and sensors are DEEP in the engine's programming. you WILL be messing with federal emissions at this level.

its going to be really challenging to work around it. maybe frosting and shiny chrome, but not a lot of hard core engine tweaking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim