Question more new truck-buying decisions '10 vs '11

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats one thing I dont get. They want trucks to get better mpg. So we do these mods and stuff that give use better mpg. But when it comes to emmisions and inspection....take it of??? Aren't we lowering the emissions by doing these mods?

dpantazis

Reaction score
they who? and who wants better mpgs? the auto makers, they don;t care. they are in bed with the oil companies. the consumers want better fuel economy. 15 years ago the epa supercar program had build a diesel electric hybrid on a taurus body with a yanmar motor that got 70+ mpg's. then the prius came out. then the supercar program got canned. google it.

modding the intake or exhaust systems makes emissions WORSE. mods are RARELY used to raise mpgs.

think about it- EGR systems siphon off a little exhaust gas into the intake to reduce NoX emissions. problem is, no EGR filter, so the oil vapors cement the soot and plug up the works leading to catastrophic failures. been proven with ALL diesel EGR systems to date, VW, MB, BMW, Izuzu, Cummins.

you think open venting the CCV on the 7.3 is good for emissions? you are basically dumping the oil onto the ground. i challenge anyone who stands by routing the CCC into the exhaust if they would dump any motor oil into the drain or into a field or ditch.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they who? and who wants better mpgs? the auto makers, they don;t care. they are in bed with the oil companies. the consumers want better fuel economy. 15 years ago the epa supercar program had build a diesel electric hybrid on a taurus body with a yanmar motor that got 70+ mpg's. then the prius came out. then the supercar program got canned. google it.

modding the intake or exhaust systems makes emissions WORSE. mods are RARELY used to raise mpgs.

think about it- EGR systems siphon off a little exhaust gas into the intake to reduce NoX emissions. problem is, no EGR filter, so the oil vapors cement the soot and plug up the works leading to catastrophic failures. been proven with ALL diesel EGR systems to date, VW, MB, BMW, Izuzu, Cummins.

you think open venting the CCV on the 7.3 is good for emissions? you are basically dumping the oil onto the ground. i challenge anyone who stands by routing the CCC into the exhaust if they would dump any motor oil into the drain or into a field or ditch.

Who else?...As far as I know, the government is the one trying to set standards on emmsions and trying to get automakers to bring up the fuel effeciency of the vehicles. I want better fuel economy...WHO DOESNT. And I'm sure if the 6.7L was bulit to obtain a max of 10mpg they deffinately would not sale. So lowering your fuel consumption....increases emissions? I thought the intake was to allow more air into the engine to allow more fuel to be burned and the exhaust was to take back pressure off of the engine? After I got my exhaust put on, I bumped my chip up to 100. I noticed better accleration and shifting but it KILLED my fuel economy. So for now, its set back to 75. My truck started out to getting 12mpg max. Now, around town, its at 17mpg according to the overhead display. I can go by my trip meter becuase my spedo is off

Guess its a good thing I didn't vent out the CCV.

Last edited:

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
if your speedo is off because of tires, your trip is too.
a lot of times(usually) efficiency is given up for emmissions. egr puts exhaust gases back into the intake but these gases won't promote combustion nearly as well as fresh air.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your speedo is off because of tires, your trip is too.
a lot of times(usually) efficiency is given up for emmissions. egr puts exhaust gases back into the intake but these gases won't promote combustion nearly as well as fresh air.

LOL my bad...I meant to say CANT.

x2...and raises egts. Thats what you get when the government tries to run a company (free market???).

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it goes against free market but in some cases, limits on emmissions are good, such as from factories. but in heavy duty trucks, the better mileage would probably make up for it or close to it. my guess is that if your speedo is off and hasn't been recalibrated then your overhead readout will be the same and be innaccurate. unless youre talking about a GPS device

Fine69

Reaction score

Its a VERY well known fact in the 6.4 world that a Spartan tune does indeed improve MPG's. Also, it is rumored that Spartan already has tunes for the 6.7 Powerstroke.;tu

dpantazis

Reaction score
government intervention was not a 'willing' policy, and the new targets are a recent thing. the mandates on fuel efficiency is/was ancient. research it- clinton era targets. 10+ years outmoded.

you are missing an important point- fuel economy has nothing to do with emissions. the two are related, but not directly dependent on one another.

keep in mind that emissions levels have CHANGED over the last few years. iirc, its like a 90% reduction in the last 10 years, might even be 95%. yes we are squeezing more out of a gallon of fuel, but the limits on what we can exhaust is getting smaller too.

dpantazis

Reaction score
Its a VERY well known fact in the 6.4 world that a Spartan tune does indeed improve MPG's. Also, it is rumored that Spartan already has tunes for the 6.7 Powerstroke.;tu

technically correct, but at the COST of removing almost all of the emissions controls. the jury is till out on longevity and reliability on those mods. not to mentions that its federal illegal. heck, why bother with any of the emissions. just strip it ALL off. you've got compound turbos, right, so lots of power and black smoke when you stomp on it.

my point is that the 6.7 is not going to be easy to hack. if the European's experience with modding these systems is any indicator, the 'performance gains' are going to small and be expensive for those gains. the sensors and engine controls are so intertwined that it is not going to be easy. there is just not that much room to tweak it. its got EGR, SCR, DPF, multi-injection events per combustion cycle. the brits at rover who developed this are clever guys, they have squeezed a lot out of that CGI block already to get 400hp and 750# of torque out of it.

Fine69

Reaction score
technically correct, but at the COST of removing almost all of the emissions controls. the jury is till out on longevity and reliability on those mods. not to mentions that its federal illegal. heck, why bother with any of the emissions. just strip it ALL off. you've got compound turbos, right, so lots of power and black smoke when you stomp on it.

my point is that the 6.7 is not going to be easy to hack. if the European's experience with modding these systems is any indicator, the 'performance gains' are going to small and be expensive for those gains. the sensors and engine controls are so intertwined that it is not going to be easy. there is just not that much room to tweak it. its got EGR, SCR, DPF, multi-injection events per combustion cycle. the brits at rover who developed this are clever guys, they have squeezed a lot out of that CGI block already to get 400hp and 750# of torque out of it.

No compounds, Sequential turbos.;tu I agree, it still hasn't been proven that Spartan doesn't hurt the longevity of these motors. But I doubt most of the guys buying them care. I'll keep mine stock, I like having a warranty.:sweet
I think you're right about how difficult it will be to mod the 6.7, but I think Ford left a lot of room for improvement with this motor. Only time will tell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14