more turbo whistle and a straight pipe

jjlw1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to this site. Just purchased an 03 F 250 crew cab, 48,6xx miles with a 6 liter. How can I get more turbo whistle? Thinking of cutting off muffler and cat. Any comments or suggestions. Please forgive my ignorance, this is my first diesel.
Thanks for the input.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
you have the perfect truck for turbo whistle.. my 03 was noticeably louder than my dads 04 and my brothers 05 with pretty much the same mods... cutting off the kitty and deleting the muffler will give you a lot more whistle at idle and during spool up... Good luck:thumbs

and im sure more will chime in... and to everyone.. I heard that the 03's have a 10 vane turbo.. the 04's have a 13 vane turbo and the 05-07's have a 15 vane turbo.. this could explain the noticeable difference in whistle... any truth in this???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You may kill the Cat, but keep him around for the future when you will NEED him again.

Dave

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have the perfect truck for turbo whistle.. my 03 was noticeably louder than my dads 04 and my brothers 05 with pretty much the same mods... cutting off the kitty and deleting the muffler will give you a lot more whistle at idle and during spool up... Good luck:thumbs

and im sure more will chime in... and to everyone.. I heard that the 03's have a 10 vane turbo.. the 04's have a 13 vane turbo and the 05-07's have a 15 vane turbo.. this could explain the noticeable difference in whistle... any truth in this???

That is what my understanding is. I remember hearing a few complain about hearing the turbo when they were pulling trailers in 03. :dunno I never could figure out that one.

FWIW, my 03 (feb built), with the dppi duals and no cat, (I'm allergic), has the loudest whistle around. I always get comments about it. (However, I'm trying to forget the comment once by a guy that I must be having a engine belt problem :eek:)

Barrett

wheelhopper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've got the 7.3 in my '03. I noticed more torbo noise when I replace the stock intake with a AFE stage 2 system.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
That is what my understanding is. I remember hearing a few complain about hearing the turbo when they were pulling trailers in 03. :dunno I never could figure out that one.

FWIW, my 03 (feb built), with the dppi duals and no cat, (I'm allergic), has the loudest whistle around. I always get comments about it. (However, I'm trying to forget the comment once by a guy that I must be having a engine belt problem :eek:)

Barrett

I know what you mean about the whistle.. I had duals, no kitty, and no muffler.. I was in love.. but that all ended when I got smashed by an eighteen wheeler... Im really close to gettin my new truck though.. i might try to find an 03 turbo to put in it though...

Reaction score
Yeah i'm just gettin tired of people asking me what aftermarket turbo i'm running with my 03. I also had a guy tell me my turbo was going out cause the whine was so loud lmao what a fag.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58