Morse code coming from the dash!

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't figured out what my truck is trying to tell me, but evidently it's communication mode of choice is Morse code?

This is what it's doing:
When I turn the key to the start position (w/out cranking engine), a tapping or popping sound comes from the dash and sounds like it's right behind the radio. The first time I heard it, I thought it was just the computer kinda booting up (sounded like a hard drive clicking), but it has become progressively louder and faster. I also thought it might be the AC parts expanding/contracting but it does it without the AC or heater? It will also continue to do it after cranking the engine, and with or without the AC blowing, it's just not as easy to hear. :confused:

When you cut the key off it instantly stops, when the key is on it picks up right where it left off. As far as I can tell there are no performance issues (knock on wood), just kinda makes me nervous. What do you guys think? Any experience w/ this issue? Should I take it in and let the stealership take a gander at it? :dunno

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buzzing noise coming from the injectors, mine does it, been doing it since the last computer flash, nothing to worry about, it's probably normal.... You say it continues to do it after you crank the engine. ( motor running ) But does it eventually stop? Do you have a tuner on board? Or is it still stock?

P.S. Amateur Radio Extra Class Operator
I send and receive Morse Code

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Haven't figured out what my truck is trying to tell me, but evidently it's communication mode of choice is Morse code?

This is what it's doing:
When I turn the key to the start position (w/out cranking engine), a tapping or popping sound comes from the dash and sounds like it's right behind the radio. The first time I heard it, I thought it was just the computer kinda booting up (sounded like a hard drive clicking), but it has become progressively louder and faster. I also thought it might be the AC parts expanding/contracting but it does it without the AC or heater? It will also continue to do it after cranking the engine, and with or without the AC blowing, it's just not as easy to hear. :confused:

When you cut the key off it instantly stops, when the key is on it picks up right where it left off. As far as I can tell there are no performance issues (knock on wood), just kinda makes me nervous. What do you guys think? Any experience w/ this issue? Should I take it in and let the stealership take a gander at it? :dunno

How are your batteries and connections?

I had some corroded battery connections once and I had the clicking sounds you describe as well as starting problems. I disconnected the battery cables and cleaned them real good, problems went away.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No tuner of any sort- bone stock. It's not a *buzzing* sound, it's a tapping like someone lightly thumping the dash. It's not a rhythmic tapping either, just random tapping??? Only does it when the key is in the "ON" position and continues until the key is turned off. I'll check my battery connections, but the thing fires up like a brand new truck- no hesitation or turning over and over and over, etc. Other than making ME paranoid, it doesn't seem to affect performance whatsoever? :watchout

Maybe I'm just an over-reacting new parent, but it never hurts to let the SDD doctors look at her!

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In other words..... as long as the key is on this tapping sound is heard and when the key is off it quits, Right.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right. I'm going to open the hood at lunch, check out the batteries, and also see if I can hear it in the engine bay or if it's really just in the dash.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It never fails! I went outside during lunch to check it out and..... nothing. It didn't make a sound- not one tap, click, buzz- NOTHING! :rant Raised the hood to check out the batteries and see if I could hear anything. The batteries looked great, and the only thing I could hear was a little whine (I'm guessing from the fuel pump/injectors). Oh well, I'm sure the only reason it quit doing it is because I posted about it on here. Wish all the problems would fix themselves that way! Speaking of self-fixing problems.... my bank account is also broken.... :innocent

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It never fails! I went outside during lunch to check it out and..... nothing. It didn't make a sound- not one tap, click, buzz- NOTHING! :rant Raised the hood to check out the batteries and see if I could hear anything. The batteries looked great, and the only thing I could hear was a little whine (I'm guessing from the fuel pump/injectors). Oh well, I'm sure the only reason it quit doing it is because I posted about it on here. Wish all the problems would fix themselves that way! Speaking of self-fixing problems.... my bank account is also broken.... :innocent

Murphy's Law # 265 (Part A&B):

A. Whenever you attempt to investigate a strange noise coming from any Automotive, or mechanized equipment ? It Won't Make The Noise.

B. Part A is an Absolute, when you've pre-paid a Diagnostic fee to the Manufacturer.

;):D:lmao

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your cell phone didn't happen to be on the dash did it? I get lots of interference with mine up there...comes through the speakers when the truck is on.....

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't my cell phone causing the sound (I know what that sounds like-does it to my computer speakers all day and drives me crazy!). I *think* I figured it out this morning....

I started it up this morning and it starting making noise again?!? I was running late and didn't have time to investigate. After I got to work I went back out to give it a closer look. Raised the hood and listened but couldn't hear anything except the fuel pump/injectors whining. Got back inside, closed the door and just listened. I kept thinking it sounds exactly like a loud computer hard drive just crunching away like crazy. I started wondering if maybe it was some sort of system download that it does every morning, or after it's been sitting for a period of time (overnight?). I thought, if that's what it's doing, it should theoretically "finish" downloading after a while... and about the time I was thinking that... VOILA! She quit! I turned the key off, then on.... and NOTHING! I'm thinking it's gotta be computer-related somehow- maybe mine is just louder than normal or I've just got really good (paranoid) ears??

Now the question is: Does this truck have a hard disk in it similar to a desktop or laptop drive? I'm thinking I might make an appt. w/ the dealer and let them listen to it, just so it'll be documented for future problems? :dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg