most power for the buck

robtoya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the site and also new to diesel ownership. I purchased a 2002 f-350 dually 4x4 for pulling a toyhauler. It has 123000 miles on it, and from what I can tell, it is completely stock in the engine and drivetrain. Besides changing all important fluids I have not done any modifications but I have put on about 5000 trouble free miles this summer. So far I love this truck, but as is the norm, I'm ready to commit some $$$ to improving the power, and hopefully the fuel milage. I'm currently getting around 13-14 miles per gallon empty/not towing on the highway and from what I've been reading, there is certainly room for improvement. The advice I seek is this: What is the best bang for the buck I can get for no more than $2000. I can install most parts myself. I appreciate all advice and comments and look forward to reading all posts. Thanks.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
robtoya said:
I'm new to the site and also new to diesel ownership. I purchased a 2002 f-350 dually 4x4 for pulling a toyhauler. It has 123000 miles on it, and from what I can tell, it is completely stock in the engine and drivetrain. Besides changing all important fluids I have not done any modifications but I have put on about 5000 trouble free miles this summer. So far I love this truck, but as is the norm, I'm ready to commit some $$$ to improving the power, and hopefully the fuel milage. I'm currently getting around 13-14 miles per gallon empty/not towing on the highway and from what I've been reading, there is certainly room for improvement. The advice I seek is this: What is the best bang for the buck I can get for no more than $2000. I can install most parts myself. I appreciate all advice and comments and look forward to reading all posts. Thanks.
Howdy robtoya,Welcome to SuperDutyDiesel,Great to have ya'll aboard :sweet
With a $2k budget cap you can certainly upgrade with Gauges,Intake & Exhuast systems,Fuel system mods and possibly fit in a multi-position chip or programmer depending on your personal preference :thumbs

Bill :cowboy:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Howdy robtoya,Welcome to SuperDutyDiesel,Great to have ya'll aboard :sweet
With a $2k budget cap you can certainly upgrade with Gauges,Intake & Exhuast systems,Fuel system mods and possibly fit in a multi-position chip or programmer depending on your personal preference :thumbs

Bill :cowboy:

And pay yourself back (slowly) with the improved fuel economy :sweet Start with the gauges, then the exhuast, intake and chip/programmer. I personally lean towards the programmers because of the ability to read diagnostics. Take a look at the sonnax/tric mod in my signature. It's one of the cheapist and most effective mods out there. You will also want to fix your upper radiator hose if it goes thru the belt instead of around your belt, change to a 203 t-stat and switch to the gold coolant if your 2002 has green coolant :dunno

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yep, what Bill and budro said. Get a set of guages so you know whats going on ($350 + or -) then do the intake air filter and exhaust systems (price can vary widely here..... but $750 should easily cover both) then if it were me, I'd look into tranny mods since you are pulling a toy hauler .... 10,000 lbs + probably... the sonnax mods ($50.00) that budro speaks of is a good one as is the Factory Tech Valve Body ($150 or so)or you can go all the way with a Transgo HDII Tugger (+$100 and a lengthy install job) which modifys the vavle body and tranny pump..... and then look into a multi-position chip or one of the programers or tuners available... SCMT or Edge or Diablo are popular ($350-$500).

robtoya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Yep, what Bill and budro said. Get a set of guages so you know whats going on ($350 + or -) then do the intake air filter and exhaust systems (price can vary widely here..... but $750 should easily cover both) then if it were me, I'd look into tranny mods since you are pulling a toy hauler .... 10,000 lbs + probably... the sonnax mods ($50.00) that budro speaks of is a good one as is the Factory Tech Valve Body ($150 or so)or you can go all the way with a Transgo HDII Tugger (+$100 and a lengthy install job) which modifys the vavle body and tranny pump..... and then look into a multi-position chip or one of the programers or tuners available... SCMT or Edge or Diablo are popular ($350-$500).

Thanks for all the info. What is your opinion of the banks big hoss bundle as a complete package? Or would I get a better value by individually piecing parts together from various companies. I've read that some chips/programmers mess with the truck computer and cause check engine lights, etc. Also...what is a good average MPG with intake, exhaust, and fuel modifications for these trucks? Thanks again.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My humble opinion is stay away from Banks, they have pretty full color ads in all the Peterson Mags but guess what pays for those ad$$$$$$$$$$$$$. They have decent products but are just outpriced if you ask me.

You can do just as well putting together your own stuff, especially if you are handy with stuff like that.

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Welcome to the best diesel community on the web :thumbs
Most of the sponsors here offer package's call them up or check out the sites I'm sure they can hook you up. :sweet

dmd

Reaction score
Wow... Only 13-14 on the highway?? Does it have big tires?... How fast are you going?

This is pretty low.

bad_bad_bubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right for a lot of highway drivin. The duallys have a 4.10 diff and run around 2100-2200 at 65mph. Thats right around I have been on my last two.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
bad_bad_bubba said:
Sounds about right for a lot of highway drivin. The duallys have a 4.10 diff and run around 2100-2200 at 65mph. Thats right around I have been on my last two.

I think the 4.10 and 3.73 are "options". I could have ordered my truck with 4.10's.
Budro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58