Mounting the pyro advice?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my gauges in monday and I was wondering what is the best way to mount the pyro? I reccon from what I have read the exhaust manifold is the best place to mount it. But is best to do with the engine running or off? Would it be more risky to do it either way as far as cracking the manifold with the heat or coldness of the metal(Use a small bit to start with and go up)? Can anyone tell me how the air flows from the air intake all the way out the exhaust?

Just got to thinking and I beleive I understand how the air flows through the engine. When the exhaust exits it spins the compressor (I'm guessing there is an air-tight shaft between compressor and turbo), and the compressor spins the shaft going to the turbo. The Turbo then pulls in air from the air intake and shoots it into the engine....and so forth....correct????

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I did mine with the engine off. I used 3 drill bits and went up in size in equal steps. I also used a vacuum to clean out the hole after each drilling. It is easier that you think, just take your time and don't break a drill bit off in the hole. Use some oil or WD-40. I drilled the left manifold between the second and third exhaust ports, but you will drill where you can get the drill into. Good luck!

Dave

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, did you use the clamp or did you thread it? is the clamp less affective than threading the manifold?

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Threaded mine. Just like Dave said. Keep it cleaned out.But I'm paranoid and cranked mine just to try to blow out any chips.

TAKE your time! That manifold metal is very soft and it will go easier then you think it will.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Threaded mine. Just like Dave said. Keep it cleaned out.But I'm paranoid and cranked mine just to try to blow out any chips.

TAKE your time! That manifold metal is very soft and it will go easier then you think it will.

The most comforting post yet...THANKS!! I've been worrying "Oh no, what if I'm drilling and crack the manifold, and then I'm without transportation for a while"...did you do yours when the engine was hot or cold? And do the chips hurt anything going through the compressor? I think it goes through the compressor, I may be wrong.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mine cold. And you WILL have enough time to do all this before it gets to hot, so don't rush! Our trucks take a few minutes to warm up anyway, and this time of year should be NO problem.

You do NOT want any chips hitting that turbo so keep it clean. Just like Dave said.

Go slow and oil the bit, that will help catch chips.
I forgot one important part. WEARSAFETY glasses. I hate those things but I did hear chips hitting my glasses. That would ruin a good day putting in new gauges. One more time. WEAR GLASSES. :)

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. From a dead cold block, cranked her up, again what dave said, started with a small bit then stepped up twice to the final hole size. Nothing to it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I threaded mine for a tight seal. And I did it cool but not first-thing-in-the-morning cold.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14