Mud Tire Recommendations?

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on the best mud tire for the money. I've got about a grand to spend but of course I'd prefer to spend less. I've been looking at the Truxus M/T's, Dick Cepek FCII, and the Yokohama Geolander MT's. I've read good and bad things about each of them so whatever you can tell me would be great. Also I'm planning on getting 325/75's on the stock 16's with leveling kit. What tire would be the best for mud, snow, ice, and all around driving for the money?
Thanks!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man thats a good question...the problem is there isnt any really
good ALL around tire.

understanding how mud & snow tires work will help....

Mud tires need to be able to clean their tread/lugs so they can get
the next bite (hopefully forward)...so you want a tire that tosses
the mud out of the tread....you DONT want a tire to pack full of mud
(w/out releasing it) cause itll just make for slippery traction (or no
traction as the case will be).

SNOW tires work completely the opposite...consider this...ever make
a snow ball ? snow sticks to snow (thats how you make a snow ball)...
so w/ snow you want a tire that does pack w/ snow...so the snow
in the tire can bite against the snow on the ground.

the bfg that i have from the factory are pretty good in the snow...but
they SUCK in the mud...they fill up w/ mud and dont release it...so
you get STUCK fairly easily....even w/ 4wd

someone else help me out on this part...in one situation mud ? you want the
tire to ride on the TOP (like in sand) and in another situation (snow?) you want
the tire to get down thru soft top so itll get better traction on a more firm surface.

so in one situation its better to have a WIDE tire...where in the other a more NARROW
tire works better.

metzer.hr

METZ44
Reaction score
Whe I first got my truck I could not get up my own drive with my summer tires on.I live in upper NE PA. Just got 11.5 inches of snow on Mon. and more coming this weekend. I put Firestone Destination MT. 285/70/16. I work a swing shift job 12 hrs. I need to get to work no matter the weather. I drive my truck every day and with these tires and can stand the ride without going huge on tire size, cost 654 bucks with glass bead balance bags(no wts) installed. good luck

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
In DEEP snow a mud tire will work good, but as soon as there is any packing of the snow, the mud tires will start to suck as there's not enough "edges" for them to grip the snow/ice. Some people have siped more aggressive tires to increase their capability in snow and ice.

The TrXus M/T's aren't really a mud tire IMO either. They're more of an aggressive all terrain. They do good on rocks, but the lugs are a little close together to really get a good self-cleaning action from them.

The FC-II has the same issue, it's more of an aggressive A/T with lugs that are very close together.

The Yokohama isn't the greatest mud tire either, although it probably is the best of the 3 you've listed.

Just remember that M/T may not necessarily mean Mud Terrain. Many manufacturers use M/T to designate Maximum Traction or something similar. For example, Goodyear's MT/R stands for Maximum Traction/Reinforced. It is NOT a mud tire by any means.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
There isn't a mud terrain that fits the rest of your desires IMO. Do you really NEED a true mud tire (for actual mudding) or just something that looks aggressive.

Reaction score
BFG mud terrains they clean themselves so well i got mud on the roof of my truck. They are the quietest mud terrain i've ever ran. They dont drift on the highway. Only downside is there is no siping at all so wet roads can get a little scary when people slam their brakes on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg