Mud Tire Recommendations?

amtx915

EP Powder Coating
Reaction score
siping can help in some situations with mud...esp thin, watered down mud. if you hit a pit goin fast it will help glide the tires above the surface. the mtr has beefier sidewalls and tread patterns than the bfg muds. if you want a "mud" tire just get boggers, but id get mtrs over the bfgs any day not only bc they look better but perform better and last longer since they have 3-ply sidewalls.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
How do you figure siping helps create floatation???

I'm on the 4th set of BFG MT's on my Jeep, had them in 31's, 32's, 33's, and now 35's. A lot of people I wheel with run MT/R's and they have never impressed me and their sidewalls are MUCH weaker than people make them out to be. They are a mediocre all-around tire, but really don't excel in any one terrain, and are an average at best tire. Certainly not worth the price they get. And if they start wearing funny AT ALL, there is no saving that tire. The MT/R's are horrendous for a street driven vehicle. There's a reason Jeep ditched them from the Rubicon-trimmed Wranglers. HORRENDOUS road wear and noise. My wife ran MT/R's on her Jeep for a little while, BARELY got 30k out of them, and we rotated them every 5-10k miles. Her vehicle rode like crap, switched to BFG AT's and all is better. Much smoother and quieter on the road, and better traction all around for her (mild wheeling dirt and rocks, dry and wet pavement, and snow and ice).

You couldn't pay me to put an MT/R on any of my vehicles.

amtx915

EP Powder Coating
Reaction score
well from what i've experienced i liked the mtr better. different strokes for different folks. but you're comparing two tires that are completely different. of course an all terrain is going to run smoother than an mtr on the road. no surprise there. yea the mtr is more of a rockcrawler's tire, but i think it's better for an all around offroad tire just because of the durability. and if it's "wearing funny" that's probably a camber problem. for an all around durable offroad tire i'd go with the mtr. for the best traction in mud, i say boggers or paddle tires.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
The MT/R IS an all terrain tire. And my BFG MT's ran smoother & quieter than them any day of the week.

And the wear issue was not a camber issue. It started out as a VERY slight issue with toe (one of the TRE's was loose). We caught it right as you could notice the tire starting to feather, fixed the TRE and rotated the tires. Alignment specs were perfect. Tire wore like crap and wore FAST.

bmlspringcreek82607015.jpg

With the kind of wheeling I do, tire failures can cause extreme issues. I rely on my vehicle to get me somewhere, and then safely get me back. I simply don't trust an MT/R to get me back.

Everybody's been on their jock because of the traction they get in the competitions. But in a comp if you bust a sidewall you just change out before your next run. Then you load your rig on to the trailer to head home, no street time.

I'm not saying the MT/R is a craptacular tire, just that it is NOWHERE near as good as a lot of people make it out to be. I know a TON of people who run them on their rigs and they've never impressed me, and many of them change to a different tire after running the MT/R's.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I still stand by the fact that the original poster in this thread is looking for a really good AT and if he purchases an MT he will be disappointed.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
I still stand by the fact that the original poster in this thread is looking for a really good AT and if he purchases an MT he will be disappointed.

And if the vehicle is mostly driven on road, IMO you gotta go with on road characteristics over off road.

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
check out the kumho road venture M/T, just put a set of 37x13.50x20 E load rated on my truck and so far they are great. noise and handling exceptional, only took minimal weight to balance. $1260 for the set through my work

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
And if the vehicle is mostly driven on road, IMO you gotta go with on road characteristics over off road.
Absolutely, and in the event you are off road you have to keep in mind that getting stuck is not always the tire's fault. Again, when I am off road its not play time, or maybe it is, but my playtime is serious and I cannot afford to have a tire fail me. Ive logged over 300,000 miles on/off road over the last 10 years and have yet to have an AT leave me stranded, be it stuck or flat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58