Mud Tire Recommendations?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I just thought this photo was kinda funny.

bmlspringcreek82607015.jpg
I do believe that is a Wrangler MTR.

With that said, side wall punctures are a bear to avoid, not sure what the MTR is for sidewall, the BFG AT KO is a 3 ply, most are 2.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I still stand by the fact that the original poster in this thread is looking for a really good AT and if he purchases an MT he will be disappointed.

You confusing me...

Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on the best mud tire for the money. What tire would be the best for mud, snow, ice, and all around driving for the money?
Thanks!

Isn't he looking for a Mud tire?

I am currently running a set of Toyo Open Country M/T's and I am happy with them. Seem to be the quietest Mud tire I have ever had. I don't run in the mud but purchased them as they had the highest load rating of any 315/75R16 out there. "The Open Country M/T is designed for full-size pickups driven by enthusiasts who require extra ground clearance, load-carrying capacity and off-road capability with great on-road performance." They seem to hook up well on the snow and ice though our ice is not as slick as the ice down there(cold=sticky). Truck handles great with them.

Toyo Open Country M/T link

tiredowns005.jpg

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
You confusing me...

Isn't he looking for a Mud tire?

Yes Crumm, he said he is looking for a mud tire that can do it all. Ice, snow, wet pavement, dry pavement..........
forumpete58 said:
What tire would be the best for mud, snow, ice, and all around driving for the money?

wants them mostly because he is tired of getting stuck in the mud which he rarely ever drives in.
forumpete58 said:
I don't do any serious mudding, but I'm real sick of being stuck in the mud with damn All-Terrains.
Thanks!

Im just offering my humble opinion that he wont be happy with a MT if those are the tasks he expects them to accomplish.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_Stroker -

Heres a thought...

His money might be better spent on a winch....no more than he
really needs the mud tires...tires wear out...winches DONT ;)

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
I do believe that is a Wrangler MTR.

With that said, side wall punctures are a bear to avoid, not sure what the MTR is for sidewall, the BFG AT KO is a 3 ply, most are 2.

That's one of the MT/R's that used to be on wife's Jeep. After 3 of them wear very inconsistent and then the one with the best tread gets a sidewall puncture, BFG's for her.

To be fair though, a couple weeks before that I managed to blow out the sidewalls on 2 of my BFG MT's at the exact same time. We were out in Moab, first day on the trail, and I sheared the front output shaft on my t-case. Basically ending on our wheeling weekend out there. I still had 2WD though so I could make it out of the trail we were on. I was a bit frustrated so I was going kinda fast. Came around a corner in a wash doing about 30mph and managed to find a rock and tree root sticking out of the side of the wash. Hit them hard enough to almost stop my 4,500lb Jeep dead in it's tracks. Had to borrow another guy's spare to get me off the trail.

DSC06011.jpg
[/img]

In 6 years of running BFG's it was the only time I punctured one on the trail or even gotten a flat not related to losing a bead because of low PSI or having a faulty valve stem, but it was 100% my own fault for driving like a flaming idiot and I would've expected ANY other tire (Irok, Creepy Crawler, BFG Krawler, whatever) to puncture in the same situation.

Last edited:

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whe I first got my truck I could not get up my own drive with my summer tires on.I live in upper NE PA. Just got 11.5 inches of snow on Mon. and more coming this weekend. I put Firestone Destination MT. 285/70/16. I work a swing shift job 12 hrs. I need to get to work no matter the weather. I drive my truck every day and with these tires and can stand the ride without going huge on tire size, cost 654 bucks with glass bead balance bags(no wts) installed. good luck

Those are very good tires, had some 305/70/16s , you can't get them anymore.

I have the TOYOs M/Ts now, I can't say I would recomend the either. I would love to put Ground Hawgs on all my Superduties but no one will make me some Rims to fit. DAMN FORD and the 8 on 170mm lug pattern. That's the only complaint I have a bout the truck!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58