Muffler leaking fuel!

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I have a black liquid coming out the front of the muffler. It smells like fuel.

I just drove to WNY yesterday from GA and got 10 mpg pulling about 6k. Mileage was the same in the mountains of NC, VA, and WV and the flats of GA and SC. The mileage doesn't really concern me but I did think it would be a little better. Empty mileage has been about 14 primarily highway on Bills economy tune which I think is low.

Truck idles fine and pulls the hills fine. The mid level work is where it struggles. As many of you know, I have been troubleshooting a miss or vibration for a few months now. The vibration occurs followed by boost going up a few pounds and the vibration goes away. On the flat ground this is a re-occuring cycle every 10-15 seconds. This only happens in overdrive.

Truck didn't use any oil or coolant on the 1000 mile run. Truck makes white smoke when engine is lugged. White smoke at idle (yes, somewhat normal) and puts out a pretty good cloud of black smoke on takeoff after idle.

I need any suggestions and help asap. I am in the middle of a duty station change and am headed to CT on Friday for two months of school, then moving to WA in June. I need to get this thing running right soon. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If anyone is the in the WNY area and can give me a hand send me a PM and I will give you my #.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Usually that is from wet stacking, have you left it idle for extended periods of time? Doesn't make a lot of sense being you've been putting miles on it. You could have a sticking injector. Thats about the only other thing I could think of.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Usually that is from wet stacking, have you left it idle for extended periods of time? Doesn't make a lot of sense being you've been putting miles on it. You could have a sticking injector. Thats about the only other thing I could think of.

about all I can think of as well.
I AM concerned about your cyclic vibration, however.
I can only think of one thing that would cause this, and that's the TCC slipping.
(However, I have been known to be wrong, from time to time...)

dun't no, brotherman..
I don't have the luxury of being there to look at it.

Maybe swing through here on your way out to the west coast?
Once you're on 94 you only have one turn to make, and that's in Billings, Mt.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
The frustrating thing is that it idles great. When you wind it up it runs great. A new truck is starting to look good. (to me, not the wife).

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
your truck doesn't have a cat, right?

any chance the turbo you just replaced leaked enough oil into the exhaust it's dribbling out the weep hole?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
your truck doesn't have a cat, right?

any chance the turbo you just replaced leaked enough oil into the exhaust it's dribbling out the weep hole?

I think that would clear out pretty quickly. I just did a set of injectors/ cups on a 7.3 this week and got LOTS of oil in the exhaust. It was not dripping after a 15 mile test run.
The white smoke at idle, is it when it's warmed up? I would maybe do an injector cut out at idle to see if you can clear the smoke. A finicky injector could do that, and also cause vibration...
On the other hand you DO have permission to go order a new 6.7 :D

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
On the other hand you DO have permission to go order a new 6.7 :D

Thanks Roy, I'll mention that to my wife. She is 1000 miles away so it should be harder for her to say no. Problem is that she is only 1000 miles away for 3 months and then I have to deal with her again. Our 10 year aniversary is in June. Maybe a new truck could be her gift to me. Now that I think of it, I bought her a new Focus when we got married.

JL, no cat from the factory on my truck.

It does smoke at idle no matter the conditions. It was 80* in GA on Wednesday and it smoked when warm and cold. It was 20* this morning and still smoked cold and after a 20 mile tow.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
It does smoke at idle no matter the conditions. It was 80* in GA on Wednesday and it smoked when warm and cold. It was 20* this morning and still smoked cold and after a 20 mile tow.
see, that ain't right.
I think Roy's got the happ'nin' on this one. Especially if you had one flunk the balance test

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg