Muffler leaking fuel!

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Ran a KOER yesterday and it wouldn't finish without the truck shutting down. I also think its is an injector but unless I prove it, I am stuck buying another set. I'm hoping t talk to Beans or Cass tomorrow morning. If the CCT would fail consistently, I would move the injector to a different hole.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I could pull it in my economy tune. On the flat around 1000. I-77 through VA and WV on the big hills (6-8%) EGTs were manageable and were kept to a max of 1250.

The turbo wouldn't make more than 15# of boost on the big hills even at 2000 rpm in OD. This is where it would make a lot of white smoke. If I locked out OD it would hold 30# of boost and pull hard all the way up the hill.

well, frankly, I think we have the answer..
you have raw fuel going down the tailpipe as the PCM is looking for a specific map value and isn't seeing it..
the PCM doesn't have any control over how fast the turbo spins, or how much boost it makes, it responds the only way it knows how, putting more fuel down the hole to try to make more heat..

and because you have big whoopy-do injectors, you're doing what Roy had suggested, it's actually stacking the cylinder to the point the combustion is incomplete (or equally as plausible, lowering fuel pressure to the point the fuel system won't keep up and you're actually getting the diesel version of a 'lean misfire")... and you get the white smoke.

kick it out of OD on the hills and let the engine pull, or use your tow tune, you'll be fine

and swing by here on your way out of Groton for the west coast..
I'm 30 minutes from 80/90

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
So you are saying there is no problem at all? I am still getting a vibration in the seat before the boost cycles up. I think I'll call Bill today and see if he can back off on the fuel some. I am getting black smoke at time that I wasn't before.

PM me you address and I'll see how it fits in our (my wife's) travel plan. You might be near our first stop out of Buffalo.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
So you are saying there is no problem at all? I am still getting a vibration in the seat before the boost cycles up. I think I'll call Bill today and see if he can back off on the fuel some. I am getting black smoke at time that I wasn't before.

PM me you address and I'll see how it fits in our (my wife's) travel plan. You might be near our first stop out of Buffalo.

not really, but you could be very well creating it.

yeah, pm on the way.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

Dude, I know you're a busy guy, but did you have a chance to double check this with Bill?

oh yeah, btw.. this vibration thing is contagious..
my truck has got it at 1,800 rpms now..
feels like a poopie injector..

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I talked to Bill, Ryan Casselry, and Jim Rose yesterday. I also ran the truck on a stock (split shot) tune. No change. Ryan is sending me some injectors and they should be here tomorrow or Thursday. Jim is sending me one of his new injector cup removal/installation tools and cups. I want the cups just in case and the price is right. Bill is also going to tweak the tuning for me. Hopefully this will all be taken care of in the next few days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14