My possible new toy

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Oh, find out what kind of truck that 5th wheel was mounted on. You will probably need Super Duty specific frame rail/cross bars to mount the hitch depending on what style it is. Get as much info as you can from the owner and then give Reese a call. Not a 15 min job, but not to bad either.

Done. The frame specific brackets were a breeze. The drilling was a pain in the...you know where.

The hitch (REESE 15K slider) was in average shape, I did find out tonight that the handle that activates and deactivates the locking jaws is missing, and that the mechanism can definitely use some lubrication.

I bought the rig sight unseen, and was pleasantly surprised. For a 12 year old rig, it was in top-notch condition, all the manuals were in a file, a complete service history came with it. It's documented since the day it left the factory in Indiana.

I have to order a new window for the bedroom area, there was a storm a few days before I arrived and a tree branch broke the glass and boogered up the frame. I duct taped it and it rode home fine.

It was great on such a long trip, 27 hours from home to Atlanta, installing the hitch, going over the rig from tip to tail, about 18 hours in, I pulled into a Flying J, went back into the rig, and caught a nap, something I could never do in the cab of the truck.

I can use some advice, however. The dry weight of the trailer is about equal to the dry weight of the truck, 6800 pounds. With twin axles and the electric brakes on both axles, I am trying to find the right setting for the Tow Command. Right now 2.5 seems to do OK, 3.0 is a bit better.

The Tow Haul function does seem to be a lot busier towing this trailer, I average 18 mpg without the trailer, 10.5 with the trailer. About right?

I thought that I would have a hard time with the spouse of the house, no worries there, she went in, saw the kitchen and fell in love. Did I mention my wife was an executive chef before she had a lapse in judgement and married me :)D ) She has DEFINITELY made me the man I am today.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good Ray. I bet by the time you get it loaded up the 3 or 3.5 will feel real good. It is unreal how much stuff we haul in these things. With my load I keep mine on about 7.5 or 8. How fast were you driving when you were getting 10.5 MPG? my old Reese 20K hitch is 14 years old now and looks new, because I wire brushed it real good and paint it about every 2 or 3 years. On my rails I painted them with spray-on bed liner paint. Has held up good so far. Be sure to keep the wheel bearing greased up good. (about every two years)
Now we will be looking for you to be at the 2007 rally in Caddo Mills Texas in May

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
just something to think about richard, and you may already have one on your king pin of the TT.

if not tho, i would suggest putting a teflon pad on the kingpin, no need to use messy grease on the 5th wheel then.

bu do lubricate the innerds as you already stated that it needed it.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
The rig came with a teflon pad for the kingpin, Stephen. The guy who sold it to me had EVERYTHING except for the pin release handle. I've e-mailed REESE for a source for replacement parts.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won! The new buyer of my boat has taken delivery and I put in the winning bid for the Jayco fifth wheel. I go to get it next week. ROAD TRIP!

Maybe I can work my way a bit west and see all of you Texans!

Happy holidays to all!:grin

CONGRATS Ray:sweet

And welcome to the BEST passtime going. Yul find that.. No-matter where you go.. yer guna meet the nicest peopole in the world. And.. when the day is done (?), no-matter where you are.. Yer HOME. Your sheets on the bed, Your pillow, Yer own food to cook... and eat on Your table, at Your chair.:sweet :sweet

Just my .02 but Jayco builds a real good [quality] "RIG". And Ford builds a Dang good truck to pull it with ( with a PSD of course).Enjoy.

We,ve been at it for about 35 years and Love every minute of it. Started in a Tent, then a "Bare Bones" Camper, then 2 TTs, another Camper (11.5, Lance), then a FW... now a 30ft Montana FW... with ALL the Bells & Whistles.

Well.... gota get started pack'n up our FW, for the Holiday Weekend. Ya gota Love it.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14