my truck 99f350 (surging) erratic idle

AKTIVE1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hello, hope everyone is doing well, i have not been on in awhile, but here i am agins with another issue. my 99f350 7.3 is idleing odd it surges when idleing, and now i have noticed it was doing it as i was driveing down the road, any ideas? thanks for all the help this site has given me, allan:dunno

TSD73

SDD F.N.G
Reaction score
I had a higher Idle too amoungst other things But my Mechanic sed to pull the Fuel line from the tank off the pump,take your fillcap off and blow a few shots of air thru cause he sez over time the pick up "socks" get clogged and gummed up. this is done to see if the running conditions change,for me they did and now I know to get into the tank and clean the pick up worked for me

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I had a higher Idle too amoungst other things But my Mechanic sed to pull the Fuel line from the tank off the pump,take your fillcap off and blow a few shots of air thru cause he sez over time the pick up "socks" get clogged and gummed up. this is done to see if the running conditions change,for me they did and now I know to get into the tank and clean the pick up worked for me

There isn't any sock on these beasty's. The pick-up is sort of a funnel shaped pickup snout with a screen across the opening.

The big problem with the 7.3 trucks has been with the fuel pick-up and mixer assembly inside the tank sucking air. The pickup was poorly designed and built even worse where it could suck air in 2 or 3 different places.

A person whose forum name is "Hutch in Augusta" identified the problem and came up with a mod that fixed the problem. Do a search for the "Hutch mod" and you'll find plenty of reading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg