NEED HELP! 7.3L Diesel wont start!

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Not trying to be a smarty, but as a professional technician, I say pour in a 5 gallon can of fuel and give it a try ;)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Aight got a chance to mess with the truck today....I was wrong it will start and run on ether(I know I know, its bad but I had to start somewhere), so its definitely a fuel problem. I drained the bowl and put a new filter in and tried the shop vac thing(actually I used a leaf blower) and still nothing.....I know everyone is saying so the hutch mod, but I would like to know the truck is operational before I go doing any mods...Any other ideas?

you proved it good. :doh:

get to Hutchin' :tounge

dirttysouth

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Something else I should mention, With the fuel bowl open there is no fuel being pumped in...if it lost prime would it not pump at all or would it just have air bubbles in it? I can hear the pump buzzing at the tank when key is truned over, but its not making it to the bowl.

dirttysouth

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is there any smoke while you crank?

Is the tac showing any rpm's during cranking?

Is it full of oil?
No smoke when cranking, tac is showing rpm's

Anyone know where the oil should be at on the dipstick when cold?.....Since it won't start I can't check it warm and don't really know what it would measure at cold?

Last edited:

dachshund

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Something else I should mention, With the fuel bowl open there is no fuel being pumped in...if it lost prime would it not pump at all or would it just have air bubbles in it? I can hear the pump buzzing at the tank when key is truned over, but its not making it to the bowl.

AAAHHHH we have narrowed it down much closer with that statement.

You should have fuel flowing into the bowl with in the first cycle of the pump.
Pull the suction line off the pump(you will need a fuel line removal tool) and shove a hose on and see if it will suck fuel out of a jug and fill the bowl. If it does, button the filter up and see if she will run.

Last edited:

dirttysouth

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
AAAHHHH we have narrowed it down much closer with that statement.

You should have fuel flowing into the bowl with in the first cycle of the pump.
Pull the suction line off the pump(you will need a fuel line removal tool) and shove a hose on and see if it will suck fuel out of a jug and fill the bowl. If it does, button the filter up and see if she will run.
I noticed the pump has a label on it saying its a pressurized system, is there any certain way I need to remove the fuel line or any certain precaution I need to take?

If it sucks fuel out of a jug I guess that tells me its the pump bad?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14