Need opinions on this setup...

hollisda

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The only thing the tune will accomplish with respect to the EGR delete is to prevent the truck from throwing a code and MIL. I did the cooler delete but left the EGR in place and hooked up, so the only code I get occasionally is the P401 for low flow. (I don't have tuner, so I just use my scanner to clear the DTC.) If you also deleted the EGR, and it is no longer hooked up, you will also get high/low circuit DTC- P404 or P405. Running without the tuner will not hurt; you'll just have the MIL on.

Regarding the sluggish performance, I would check the MAP sensor. One possibility for the conditions you describe is that the MAP is not hooked up or the nipple is broken off rendering it inoperable; this can happen and not be noticed during a rebuild. And this will not throw a code.

Hope this helps. Let us know.
;tu

Joelude

New Superduty Owner!
Reaction score
I was hoping you were on to something... I even got excited thinking that had to be it. But after looking over the truck... I have found nothing unplugged. Everything seems to look good... which is going to make this even more difficult. Especially since it is not throwing any codes to help me out (except for the EGR codes). I have no other ideas as to what this can be. My insight is showing no boost... yet I hear the turbo? It makes no sense to me.

Its a let down when something so major gets performed... and when you get it back... you are disappointed because of its performance. I hope I figure this out soon. Thanks for your help hollisda... I really appreciate it!

Joelude

New Superduty Owner!
Reaction score
I take it back... it was the MAP sensor. Stupid me didn't see the line not hooked up. It was tucked under the firewall and I couldn't see where it was going... it actually looked like it belonged there. Oh well... its fixed! And I am now happy! Thanks for all the insight!

hollisda

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the hose on the MAP is easy to miss. Glad to hear that is all it was.

So did you do the head stud replacement? If so, did you pull the cab? That seems like a chore!

Joelude

New Superduty Owner!
Reaction score
I did the full kit from MKM Customs. It included ARP headstuds, new head gaskets, new oil cooler, and the EGR cooler delete kit as well as all the gaskets that are needed to get the job done. The cab was lifted and it gave a huge amount of room to perform the job. I couldn't be happier with the kit I purchased and the total amount that I paid. Now that the hose off the MAP is reconnected... I am happy with the performance as well. I can't wait for my SCT X3 to show up so I can get the chip back on it. I highly recommend the kit that I purchased... everything fit perfectly and costs less then trying to piece it all together yourself.

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the work yourself? If so, you have any pics? I'm very interested in doing this exact mod (with tuner), but on my budget, it will probably be a couple of years. :doh:

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
sorry for taking so long//where i live the diesels do not have to have emmisions testing done so i cant be any help in that area but i wouldnt think it would affect it that much if when you took it in you turned the tune down to stock i may be wrong but i think that the exhaust would affect it more than the egr mod

Joelude

New Superduty Owner!
Reaction score
Did you do the work yourself? If so, you have any pics? I'm very interested in doing this exact mod (with tuner), but on my budget, it will probably be a couple of years. :doh:

I did not do the work myself. But I had a buddy of mine, whom happens to own a shop locally, do the work for me. I was present for about a quarter of the work. And when you really get down to it... it is doable on your own providing you take your time and make sure everything is clean and perfect. I was surprised how basic these trucks really are when you break them down to the point mine was.

I do have pictures... I just need to download them, organize them and then I can post them up here. I am very happy with the results so far... although I have only driven it about 100 miles since completion. Hopefully the pictures will be coming soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58