Question Need some AC advice

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
I have been measuring the temperature of the air out of the vents on my truck and I cannot get the temp to drop below 58*-60*. I sprayed off the condenser and no luck with it gettiing any colder. First where is the Low pressure port?
Second is what could be causing this other than low freon?

It has been 95* here in TN about everyday so I need relief.

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A/C OK

If you are getting a 30-35 degree temperature drop coming out of the vents.
Thats about the best you can expect from R134a.
Hope this helps.;tu

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I have been measuring the temperature of the air out of the vents on my truck and I cannot get the temp to drop below 58*-60*. I sprayed off the condenser and no luck with it gettiing any colder. First where is the Low pressure port?
Second is what could be causing this other than low freon?

It has been 95* here in TN about everyday so I need relief.
low pressure port is on the accumulator

if you need to know for the reason I think you're thinking, STOP.

get the pressures checked first

I can help you, but I need to know what the pressures are and how steady the needles hold..

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Silly question but one I do ask,are you running the AC in "Norm" or "MAX AC" for when I have our Excursion in the "Norm" the temps will linger in the 50's with ambient outdoor temps in the 90's.

Have you installed a AC Control Valve for that is one mod that helps alot and the price sure is worth it;tu

Other things to look at is to thoroughly clean the front condensor unit of bugs,dirt,leaves,etc,straighten out any bend fins.

Also a cleaning of the Evaporator with KOOL-IT EVAPORATOR & HEATER CORE FOAM CLEANER can help some too:cool:

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
Silly question but one I do ask,are you running the AC in "Norm" or "MAX AC" for when I have our Excursion in the "Norm" the temps will linger in the 50's with ambient outdoor temps in the 90's

Have you installed a AC Control Valve for that is one mod that helps alot and the price sure is worth it;tu

Other things to look at is to thoroughly clean the front condensor unit of bugs,dirt,leaves,etc,straighten out any bend fins.

Also a cleaning of the Evaporator with KOOL-IT EVAPORATOR & HEATER CORE FOAM CLEANER can help some too:cool:

Where is the evaporator? Those temps are in max ac.

Last edited:

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
low pressure port is on the accumulator

if you need to know for the reason I think you're thinking, STOP.

get the pressures checked first

I can help you, but I need to know what the pressures are and how steady the needles hold..

Were you thinking I was thinking of buying one of those $20 cans of R134a with the gauges on them?
Yep I was at first but my brother (who works at a parts store) told me not to do it because they were not very good at measuring the amount of freon in the system because all systems are different. Actually I kind of wanted to smack myself for looking at those cans more than once. He also told me that is about as good as it gets with the temperature and I told him CHPMustang got his to 38*(?). If I go to a shop how much should they charge me to put it on a set of gauges?

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Where is the evaporator? Those temps are in max ac.
Evaporator is located in a large black plastic enclosure up against the right side of the firewall in the engine area,you'll follow the cold AC lines from the compressor to the case.
I remove the fan/blower to fill the enclosure with the cleaner foam on the evaporator surface.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Were you thinking I was thinking of buying one of those $20 cans of R134a with the gauges on them?
Yep I was at first but my brother (who works at a parts store) told me not to do it because they were not very good at measuring the amount of freon in the system because all systems are different. Actually I kind of wanted to smack myself for looking at those cans more than once. He also told me that is about as good as it gets with the temperature and I told him CHPMustang got his to 38*(?). If I go to a shop how much should they charge me to put it on a set of gauges?

actually, I'd see if a parts store will rent you a set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58