Never had a regen yet

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of us who don't have the 6.4 engines are getting bad information. I understand why regen does its thing, but we have been told by people here that there is a huge loss of power when it goes into regen. I also hear that these trucks do a regen every 25 miles or so, which I know is not true. A lot of bad information is crossing this board and alot of us don't know better. Thank you for clearing a lot of this up!!

Dave :)

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 types of regen, active and passive. Passive is when you have enough of a load on the truck where the egt's are hot enough to keep the filter relatively clean. I mostly travel unloaded so I usually regen in the active phase. This is where you get the "cleaning exhaust filter" message and notice the power loss and boost recirculation. This active phase is where the fuel is introduced into the exhaust to "clean" the dpf. Now I've had my truck for 2 years, job 1, when it went into active regen it was very noticable meaning the first few times it initiated I thought something was wrong. I have the latest reflash on that recall and its seamless and the only reason I know I'm in active regen is it says it now on the dash.
Now Ford claims its only a 25hp reduction when active regen is going on. We have a 350hp engine....25hp doesn't sound bad, but I'll tell you before the latest flash, it seemed a hell of a lot more than 25hp. I dont have a dyno so I cant provide #'s.
To get back to the origional question about no regen... is your truck loaded often if so, you might just been lucky to have enough passive regen, if not the others are probably right, you might want to get it checked. I believe that since job 2's the message is displayed on the dash.

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great Post hdjeff and I agree with DaveBen about the confusion.

I have 4900 miles on my '08 and I 'clean' about every 550 miles. No smoke, black or white, and no noticeable power loss-pulling or naked. My exhaust pipe has no residue of any type, clean enough to eat out of.

Jimmy

wilson111

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just got my 09 f250 job2 and it went into regen at 202 miles and the dic displayed it until i cleared it out. did notice small changes but nothing way out of the way. next time i will see how long it last.

norcal

Norcal
Reaction score
My '09 F-350 has about 750 miles on it now and it has regened twice. In both cases, I never saw smoke or noticed any difference in the available power. Based on what I had heard, I was waiting for all sorts of problems to happen. So far, could not be happier! Note: I was unloaded on both regens. I am hooking up a 31 foot RV next week so we'll see what happens then or when I pull my 3 orse GN trailer.

norcal

Norcal
Reaction score
My '09 F-350 has about 750 miles on it now and it has regened twice. In both cases, I never saw smoke or noticed any difference in the available power. Based on what I had heard, I was waiting for all sorts of problems to happen. So far, could not be happier! Note: I was unloaded on both regens. I am hooking up a 31 foot RV next week so we'll see what happens then or when I pull my 3 horse GN trailer.

`08 Blue Crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got mine 9/07. i would only see the smoke on a cool damp day. i had the [reprogram] recall done about 2-3 months ago. i don't put a lot of miles on the truck but after putting on about 2500-3000 miles i have yet to see the re-gen message. :dunno since it was spring, now summer, i can't tell if it is cleaning as i have never seen smoke this kind of weather. but i don't drive staring at the display either; i tend to watch the road. i'm beginning to wonder if the dealer did the re-programming correctly. since i am in a neighboring state, it took it to a dealer other than where i bought it for the recall. i'm thinking about taking it to the dealer i purchased from just to have them check it. i would think in 2500-3000 miles it would have regenned at some point in time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58