New 2012 6.7 PSD SuperCab-First road trip-23.7 MPG!!!

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Hummm........my mileage.

Bought the CC SWB 2012 in May with 156 miles on the clock. At last fill up it had 8911 miles on it.

May 8th to Dec 9.
8755 miles.
542.75 gals
16.13 avg mpg

I expect the mileage to get a little better when it gets broken in but not much. This above mileage is a little skewed because 1000 miles of it was towing a jeep on a trailer out to west Texas.

Tbar

Ratchet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 F-450 4X4 Crew Cab Dually with the Ford Reese hitch option in it. We had to pick up our 41' triple axle Raptor Toy hauler at the RV dealership after service and used the new truck to do it. The truck pulled the 15,000 lb. trailer like it wasn't there. It was very stable with the dual rear wheels. Pulling at 65mph I ended up with 9.5 mpg while towing. I've only hitched and unhitched once but it seemed to go real well. I am going to raise the hitch up slightly to level the trailer but that's about it. I think the factory installed hitch is a really clean option. I can remove the hitch real easy if I need to fill the bed up with things. We're looking forward to traveling with the truck and trailer. This truck will take that trailer wherever we want to go in real comfort.

scottyb

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 F-450 4X4 Crew Cab Dually with the Ford Reese hitch option in it. We had to pick up our 41' triple axle Raptor Toy hauler at the RV dealership after service and used the new truck to do it. The truck pulled the 15,000 lb. trailer like it wasn't there. It was very stable with the dual rear wheels. Pulling at 65mph I ended up with 9.5 mpg while towing. I've only hitched and unhitched once but it seemed to go real well. I am going to raise the hitch up slightly to level the trailer but that's about it. I think the factory installed hitch is a really clean option. I can remove the hitch real easy if I need to fill the bed up with things. We're looking forward to traveling with the truck and trailer. This truck will take that trailer wherever we want to go in real comfort.

Nice rig Ratchet. With 4.30's I would imagine you wouldn't feel the Raptor. I seriously considered getting a F450, but it will be my daily driver for work and I put about 40K / yr. Everything I have read from other RVers say that the F350 with 3.73's will handle my Cyclone 4100 easily (18K). It needs to do better than my current 07' 3500HD D/A that gets a whopping 8.0 - 8.5 MPG, pulling it.

On another note, we just got my wife a 2013 F250 CC SB. The 1st fill it only got 14.7 (calculated). We have had many diesels in the past and they have all improved from new. I just don't know if it will ever get to the level that some are reporting here. I always use the calculated method, the one that effects my wallet.

Ratchet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Nice rig Ratchet. With 4.30's I would imagine you wouldn't feel the Raptor. I seriously considered getting a F450, but it will be my daily driver for work and I put about 40K / yr. Everything I have read from other RVers say that the F350 with 3.73's will handle my Cyclone 4100 easily (18K). It needs to do better than my current 07' 3500HD D/A that gets a whopping 8.0 - 8.5 MPG, pulling it.

On another note, we just got my wife a 2013 F250 CC SB. The 1st fill it only got 14.7 (calculated). We have had many diesels in the past and they have all improved from new. I just don't know if it will ever get to the level that some are reporting here. I always use the calculated method, the one that effects my wallet.

Hi Scotty B.

We actually wanted a 350 with the 3.73's in it but this one happened to be on the lot. Kings Ranch and all the bells and whistles. So we ended up with it and all the rebates too. It's a little over kill for the trailer but it will be nice to pull with a newer truck and not have to worry about being on the edge with weight, which we were with our 2500 Dodge Ram. I've hit 17 on the open road at 65mph not pulling. We really didn't buy the truck for the mileage, just the pulling power and the stability of the duals. Your 350 should do real nice with the Cyclone. Just waiting for spring and off we'll be.

Doug

scottyb

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi Scotty B.

We actually wanted a 350 with the 3.73's in it but this one happened to be on the lot. Kings Ranch and all the bells and whistles. So we ended up with it and all the rebates too. It's a little over kill for the trailer but it will be nice to pull with a newer truck and not have to worry about being on the edge with weight, which we were with our 2500 Dodge Ram. I've hit 17 on the open road at 65mph not pulling. We really didn't buy the truck for the mileage, just the pulling power and the stability of the duals. Your 350 should do real nice with the Cyclone. Just waiting for spring and off we'll be.

Doug

I would take 17 any day, even for a every day driver. My company has a F550 w the 4.30's and he doesn't do that well, but he is pulling a gooseneck 30-40% of the time. I would much rather have the 4.30's in the mountains.

Ratchet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would take 17 any day, even for a every day driver. My company has a F550 w the 4.30's and he doesn't do that well, but he is pulling a gooseneck 30-40% of the time. I would much rather have the 4.30's in the mountains.

17 mpg was on a nice flat highway. I live in the country and everything is 30 minutes away. If we drive the truck around town we usually end up around 14 or 15mpg. It's nice to here the 4.30's will be good in the mountains. We are planning on traveling in the Rockies next year and it will be fun.

I also think having all the pulling power and 4 X 4 will be great for resale. I've just retired last year at 61 and figure we probably only have 10 years or less pulling the big rig. So it will be nice to have something I can off load when we want to. Any farmer, car hauler or transport hauler would love the truck. I sold a 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel 4 X 4 with 127000 miles on it last year. It sold in hours after posting it oCraig'sgs list. Maybe I sold it to cheap.

scottyb

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
17 mpg was on a nice flat highway. I live in the country and everything is 30 minutes away. If we drive the truck around town we usually end up around 14 or 15mpg. It's nice to here the 4.30's will be good in the mountains. We are planning on traveling in the Rockies next year and it will be fun.

I also think having all the pulling power and 4 X 4 will be great for resale. I've just retired last year at 61 and figure we probably only have 10 years or less pulling the big rig. So it will be nice to have something I can off load when we want to. Any farmer, car hauler or transport hauler would love the truck. I sold a 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel 4 X 4 with 127000 miles on it last year. It sold in hours after posting it oCraig'sgs list. Maybe I sold it to cheap.

My personal and business experience has been good for re-selling these trucks. Of course you take the initial hit, as with any new vehicle. If you drive them for 5 years or longer and take care of them, they bring a premium. Most of our company trucks are north of 200K when we sell or trade them.

14-15 around town is excellent for your truck. Now you have me re-thinking my next purchase.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58